Organic 2 before organic 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sengineer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to scheduling of classes and work I was considering taking organic chem 2 but I have not done organic chem 1 as yet. The way these classes are scheduled at the colleges here are just not convenient for working ppl and those that are, are just triple the cost. I was waitlisted for organic chem 1 and seems like I am not going to get in. Normal thinking would say not to do it but I have done this before with anatomy and got As in both. Does anyone who has completed either or both suggest against it and if so why?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely do not recommend it. Organic 1 is largely concepts. Organic 2 is largely synthesis driven by those concepts. I don't see how you could realistically succeed in organic 2 without 1, unless you just brute memorized everything

Thanks for ur response and judging from ur alias name I will def. take ur response seriously. Sort of knew this deep down but from a nontrad student view, trying to get as much done as possible in what little time I have. Gonna look into those more costly colleges to get orgo 1 done this semester. Also I have noticed some offering without a lab, is that common or do u def need lab as well which would make it 6 credits total then

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had enough time and David Klein's textbook, I think you could do it. As in, spend at least 4 weeks going through and laying the foundation. But just jumping into O-Chem 2 without having laid the groundwork in O-Chem 1 is completely different than doing that with a Biology sequence or Physics sequence. It would quite literally be like jumping into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim.

Thanks for ur response and judging from ur alias name I will def. take ur response seriously. Sort of knew this deep down but from a nontrad student view, trying to get as much done as possible in what little time I have. Gonna look into those more costly colleges to get orgo 1 done this semester. Also I have noticed some offering without a lab, is that common or do u def need lab as well which would make it 6 credits total then

Sorry, I understand the desire to speed things along, but I don't see this as a reasonable way to do it. As far as the lab, it's been a while since I applied, but my recollection is that organic i lab is required by pretty much all schools. When you take the lab is up to you and what the school you're taking classes at offers. At my school, the lab is usually taken alongside organic ii lecture

I'm going to have to agree that is impossible to take o-chem II without the first semester. You will likely need to know how to name compounds, acids vs bases, how to push electrons, SN1/SN2, E1/E2, reactions of alkanes, alkenes and alkynes, basics of NMR and several other topics that can't easily be learned in a few weeks.

For some folks (I fall into this category), taking o-chem I once wasn't enough to proceed. The pace was too fast and it didn't click. I took o-chem I a second time as part of my post-bac and also am now working on Kaplan Edge Organic chem for the MCAT (got it free as part of signing up for their MCAT course... will post a review on it in the future, but so far ok, but not great). I really do think it is one of the more challenging courses, but once things click it becomes easier.

Regarding labs: Almost all schools require two semester credits of o-chem lab. Often times this is equivalent of one semester, but it may depend on your school and how many credits the lab is. Since all schools I looked into only needed 2 credits and o-chem I is 2 credits through UC Berkeley Extension, that's all I'll be doing.

And, buy the Second Language Book. It's a great resource and helped really understand stuff the second time I found myself in an o-chem class.

Sorry, I understand the desire to speed things along, but I don't see this as a reasonable way to do it. As far as the lab, it's been a while since I applied, but my recollection is that organic i lab is required by pretty much all schools. When you take the lab is up to you and what the school you're taking classes at offers. At my school, the lab is usually taken alongside organic ii lecture

Last edited:
I guess I should have prefaced by saying some people struggle in O-Chem and never really get it. For others it makes perfect sense right away. I'm in the latter group and pretty much had to teach myself out of a textbook anyways so it makes sense to me that someone could do this on their own without taking a formal class. But no doubt, if O-Chem doesn't come easy to you, take your time and do it in order.

Keep checking the waitlist for organic I, and talk to the professor after the first day or two of class. There's always lots of waitlist movement as soon as class starts. Like everyone else said, you will definitely need organic I before II.

You will need to take organic lab at some point. Some colleges have the lab integrated into the course, others have a one or two credit lab both semesters, others have a three or four credit lab one semester. Organic labs tend to be long and often stinky, but I thought they were fun. If you want to learn how to distill moonshine, this is the class for you.

I found O.Chem 1 easy, yet I would never suggest going into O.Chem 2 without the first O.Chem. You'll simply not be able to survive the synthesis problems.

Klein's textbook is great for explaining concepts, however, the problems at the back of each chapter are too easy. You'll need to do additional problem sets from other sources to get a good grade.

Don't even waste your time. Just push O-chem 2 back until after O-chem 1. Taking 2 before one will just result in you taking 2 again.

And I'd agree with people on talking to the prof because LOTS of people drop out of O-chem pretty quickly. I don't doubt there will be room for you within the first or second week of classes.

Thanks for everyones response. Definitely will try to do orgo 1 first. Waitlist got closed and class closed; is it still worth trying? Found a class 40 miles away as last resort.

Thanks for everyones response. Definitely will try to do orgo 1 first. Waitlist got closed and class closed; is it still worth trying? Found a class 40 miles away as last resort.

a lot of people at my school drop after the first day of class. people get spooked, they forget to drop, there are many reasons. check into it.

Don't worry. Half the people taking organic are going to be your fellow premeds. A lot of them just got terrible grades in general chemistry and biology, and they're beginning to realize that medical school is going to be a lot of work and that a communications major or something equally easy and useless is right for them. (Pro tip: recognize that if getting into med school was easy, everyone would do it.) Once they remember to drop the classes they aren't planning on taking, there will be plenty of room for you.

Found one 47 miles away. First class today and lecturer says nearly impossible to get an A.
Well it begins. Thanks folks.

Found one 47 miles away. First class today and lecturer says nearly impossible to get an A.

Phff, maybe for typical undergrads. O-Chem isn't hard, the hard thing is having the drive and discipline to work literally hundreds of problems before an exam, because that's what it takes to master the material. I hope you kill it.

hmmm this is a red flag to me. is this the place where you were waitlisted? I generally do not mind working hard but i am not into games. if they guy takes pride in not giving out A's i'd find a professor and class that is more straight forward. if you are grade repairing, this is not something you can chance with.

In that case, getting an A is simple. Study until you know everything.

I said it would be simple; I didn't say it would be easy. At least you'll be prepared for the MCAT's organic questions after this.

You could always just cheat by memorizing the whole textbook ;)