Organic 2 on the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StePharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor is telling me that i should take Organic 2 in Spring 2011, before i take the PCAT in Summer 2011.
To do this i would have to take Gen Chem 2 this Summer, Orgo 1 in Fall and then Orgo 2 in Spring. However, I'd rather take some elective classes this summer and end up with taking just Orgo 1 in Spring 2011.

For those of you who've taken the PCAT, can you tell me if i should take Organic 2 before i take the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

If you think that chem isn't probably one of your best subjects, then by all means try to cover all those courses before pcat...

with that said, it is NOT necessary to take orgo before PCAT if you can cover the basic principles (i.e namings, reactions mechanisms, chirality, etc) on your own time. I have seen a lot of people scoring mid 90's in chem section of PCAT with only having one half course of first year gen chem.

I heard the organic on pcat is more geared towards Orgo I than orgo II. Orgo I is nomenclature, basic mechanisms, R-S configs (chirality), and near the end you start getting into the base of orgo II such as grinard rxns, etc.

Orgo II is mostly all reactions and reagents, NMR, how groups (electron donating or withdrawing groups) affect each reaction, synthesis problems (even though at the end of orgo I you will run into synthesis ). theres some other stuff i forgot to mention since its been a while.