Organic and Transferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tijames

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My organic chemistry I class is not going well. The professor teaching the course is new, and his exams are brutal. He gave his first exam to the normal OChem prof (phd biochemist) and he couldn't finish it in the amount of time our class was given. There is a massive dichotomy between last years class averages, taught by the aforementioned phd biochemist, and my professor (phd physical organic chemist). I have a 75%, 75%, and 48% respectively on exams 1,2, and 3.

His exams are impossible, class exam score averages are down the toilet. He refuses to curve the class because its "unethical to reward laziness", and he's destroying our hopeful futures in medicine.

Don't get me wrong, I take full responsibility for my grades and my actions. I am more than capable of the material (as is the majority of the class) but clearly, his exams are far too difficult and unreasonable.I don't think its reasonable for this years class to be significantly harder than last years class, taught by a different prof. This has happened to me three times now at this school (calculus, animal biology, and now organic chem).

That said, what should I do? I am already transferring out for the fall of next year because I already hate this school, but now I am looking at Cish grade in orgo I.

Should I transfer to a comm. college near my house and take gen eds for a semester and work? Should I rough it out stay next semester? I wanted to stay here to retake Animal Biology (see previous post...), but with the vast majority of the class looking at a C or B- average.... I don't know.

Withdrawl? Finish it out and maybe retake it? Your thoughts?????

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would withdraw the course because you dont want to hurt your GPA. A W does not look good either but it is better than a C or even a worst grade. Because you said you have 75%+75%+48% = 66% which is a D. So hoping that you get an 100% in the final which to me seems impossible with such professor you would be getting a 74% which gives you a C. Therefore, to me it is too risky to see if you can pull your grade to a C and actually a C is not a great grade to have in a prereq. My advice withdraw the class and look in ratemyprofessors.com before you sign up again for the class in the next semester.

Good luck though

if I withdraw, I will take orgo I and II over the summer. Next semester I will just bulk up on biology courses.

the department does nothing for students; my biology class had a failing average and nothing happened there.