organic biochemistry w/o chem and orgo I + II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
nvm

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The best ochem book I've ever used (and I was a biochem major in undergrad) was Organic Chemistry by Leroy Wade - very concise and easy to understand (the book by John McMurry is also pretty helpful). I self-taught myself with the book since I didn't like the assigned TB and passed OchemI-III with A's.

For biochem - Lehninger was what I liked but the book can be a bit much for someone new to the material. I'd supplement with something like Biochem for dummies.

Finally use Khan Academy (and youtube in general) to look up/learn. Good luck but there's honestly so much material out there that learning ochem/biochem isn't as hard as it used to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's impossible to give good advice without knowing exactly what topics this "organic biochemistry" class covers. Do you have the syllabus or a course description?

It could be a super easy overview of concepts, or it could be a hyper-rigorous grad level course that goes into crazy amounts of detail. There's no way to tell based on the name alone.

I'm confused. I understand Chem/Orgo is waived, but you have to take organic biochem for your degree? Seems like your set up for failure if that's the case (or the biochem class is just really straightforward stuff).

The best ochem book I've ever used (and I was a biochem major in undergrad) was Organic Chemistry by Leroy Wade - very concise and easy to understand (the book by John McMurry is also pretty helpful). I self-taught myself with the book since I didn't like the assigned TB and passed OchemI-III with A's.

For biochem - Lehninger was what I liked but the book can be a bit much for someone new to the material. I'd supplement with something like Biochem for dummies.

Finally use Khan Academy (and youtube in general) to look up/learn. Good luck but there's honestly so much material out there that learning ochem/biochem isn't as hard as it used to be.

Agree completely. Wade is incredible for organic chemistry and the lab component. The 7th and 8th editions really do a great job carefully explaining the chemical trends involved and used gen chem principles to nicely discuss mechanisms and reagent functions. Strongly recommend it.

Lehninger is incredible for biochemistry because it heavily employs key chemistry topics to have a deeper insight. It isnt an easy read but really thorough in many cases. I also did the quizzes from the publisher website to ensure i knew what was happening. Lehningers essentially helped me understand the entire glycolysis/citric acid cycle/electron transport chain pathway (and intermediates/enzymes, regulation) cold

Supplement the ochem books with "organic chemistry as a second language". Highly recommended for covering the basics