Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Organic Book Worth Keeping?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cwb, May 3, 2004.

1. cwb

cwb Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm done with orgo II this semester and was just wondering if my organic book (McMurry) was worth keeping for the MCAT. It'd be nice to get the money from selling it but I will keep it if I absolutely have too. Thanks in advance.

2. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

I took the MCAT while taking Orgo II and I found the McMurry book extremely useful for MCAT studying. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not if you have a good review book (like the Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc...). However, I personally would suggest you keep it for reference. The review books generally only give the basics and if you don't really understand something, McMurry generally explains it well.

3. bradwilkins

bradwilkins Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'd keep it as well. My orgo text was useful during MCAT studies

4. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

Get rid of it. A Kaplan MCAT book is more than sufficient.

5. g3pro

g3pro Dr. Mogley
    7+ Year Member

what is this "orgo" people are talking about? I've taken Orgallary Distillichemistra, the OC, and Organic Chemistry. Is there something called "orgonic chemistry" which is a required course which I have not taken? :scared: :laugh:

6. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

The O-chem I had on my MCAT was not very in depth. Even the Kaplan book went way too far into detail.

Sell that puppy while you have the chance!

7. DMBFan

DMBFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

While we're on the subject, I usually keep all the science texts that I have, like anatomy and physiology, physics, gen chem, and organic,...Which ones are necessary to keep?? All, none, some???

8. beriberi

beriberi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving out right now after four years of medical school.

It makes me very sad to see textbooks in my basement (the undergrad Anatomy book that I loved so well because it explained things so clear, the solid basic chemistry book)--probably close to $1000 of undergrad science books sitting in my basement. It makes me sad because I have never once cracked them open and I should have sold them years ago.

Sell. Sell now. Quickly!! BEFORE THE PRICE GOES DOWN!!!!

9. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

You know, I was thinking about what textbooks I would keep if I could only choose one undergraduate book. I think it'd be Campbell's Biology. It's chock full of good stuff.

Also, I might keep my Fox Physiology book. I really like it, I wonder if it's sufficient for M1?

10. elephino

elephino Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with beriberi. My boyfriend is a 2nd year resident. He saved all his undergrad textbooks and he NEVER opened one of them through med school and beyond. We just move them around with us everywhere we go since they are not worth anything at this point. Don't worry, med school makes you buy all the texts you need anyway (and there are enough and they cost enough!)
    So my advice is sell! (I'm selling my McMurry O-Chem book as soon as I take the final!)
    I agree also on the point that an MCAT study book will suffice for studying MCAT!

11. terpgirl

terpgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Isn't that a $250 book?!?!? Yeah, I have kept some notes/flashcards but the books are worth more to me as cash then something to collect dust on my shelves.

-Liz

12. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    get rid of it. ochem on the mcat is much easier than ochem lecture. review notes from kaplan are more than sufficient.