Organic Chem 1 & Lab during summer term?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miprat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to plan my semesters out to finish all the pre reqs. How doable would be taking Org Chem 1 & Lab over the summer term after taking Chem 1 & 2 w Lab over the fall and spring terms? I know its supposed to be the hardest class out there but I dont want to wait till fall and spring again to do Org chem 1 then 2 because this way I can finish all my classes in the fall.
It would either be my only class or if I were to take another class I would make sure it was a cake non science or math class

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am trying to plan my semesters out to finish all the pre reqs. How doable would be taking Org Chem 1 & Lab over the summer term after taking Chem 1 & 2 w Lab over the fall and spring terms? I know its supposed to be the hardest class out there but I dont want to wait till fall and spring again to do Org chem 1 then 2 because this way I can finish all my classes in the fall.
It would either be my only class or if I were to take another class I would make sure it was a cake non science or math class

I completed all of ochem over last summer. It was doable if u work hard and study. I got all As. That was the only class I took over the summer

ochem 1 is definitely doable over summer. The thing is that ochem 2 is alot harder than ochem 1 is. Just make sure you get the same teachers consecutively, and you learn the material from ochem 1 well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently taking organic 1 right now, in the summer..

my answer to your question, as another student said, would be, "if you like doing everyday activities such as sleeping, eating and showering, then don't take it"

On a serious note, it all depends on you and the kind of person you are.

If you study each chapter in advance (before the teacher will discuss it in lecture) and are on top of your lab work, then you will be ok.
I am a very good student I find the this class to be very intense. One problem I am having right now is the fact that we are learning about the mechanisms (sn1, sn2, e1, e2) all in the last 2 weeks. Basically, they saved all the harder stuff for the end. I dont know how your school is, but I imagine they all follow a similar curriulum. Also, we will be learning one chapter every day, until next wednesday and taking a comprehensive final on thursday. I am not trying to scare you, but I do want you to realize what you are getting into.

p.s. do you plan to work while taking this class?
anyways.. good luck

sn1, sn2, e1, e2 mechanisms is the fundamentals of organic chemistry. Make sure you know those down cold, it will make it easier to learn all the other mechanisms you will encounter in the future.

good luck

i'm going to be taking the final next week. We're finishing up organometallics.

O chem I is easy. it would be ok to take in the summer. O chem II... i would be kinda afriad to do in the summer.

O chem I is easy. it would be ok to take in the summer. O chem II... i would be kinda afriad to do in the summer.

I Agree. The real organic chemistry work begins with OCHEM II. OChem I is mainly basic reactions that your gonna need to know inside out to do OCHEM II. Dont trip about OChem I in the summer, but take OCHEM II during the year.

You guys are all great. This forum rocks because people are so helpful and encouraging. I am going to go ahead and knock it out in the summer then do Org 2 in the regular fall term which will be my last term.

What is annoying his how so many schools have different pre req requirements so I am going to hold out my last term classes and then base them off the reqs for the schools that I really want to go to.

I am an older student(37) so I work full time and support my family(no kids though) so I need to make sure not to take on too much at a time.

Pharmacy bound student here .... starting in September.... hopefully :)

You ask what stands in my way.... Organic II..... 5 weeks of summer fun starting in two weeks.....

Finished organic I over the summer... a week ago... 95%... pretty easy. As mentioned, get the foundations down. I have talked to so many that say II is much worse than I.... I am going to find out soon enough! Wish me luck!

By the way miprat, I'm 31, high school math teacher.... so I can imagine your schedule. For me, last semester iT was 14 hours and 2 jobs. Have fun!!! Just remember if this is what you want to do, it will all be worth it! Hell now will pay off later!

Hello all,

don't do it. It will kill you. take orgo chem in the spring or fall semester only. If you think you can get A or B, then go ahead, but you have to study your butt off.

I would definitely take Organic I and II over the summer. That's what I did while also working, and I did very well. Good luck!

Organic I over the summer is doable definitely. Just don't take any other classes at the same time and do the problems in the textbook every day. It seems like a lot, but if you just do problems for like 1 hour every day you'll be fine.

Organic Chem is more about experience, so the more you see, the better you will do on the tests. If you don't know a question in the homework, don't waste time by trying to figure it out for 15 minutes. Just open the solutions manual and look at the answer and solution. Go back to the problem like 3 hours later and see if you can solve it.

Organic Chem is more about experience, so the more you see, the better you will do on the tests. If you don't know a question in the homework, don't waste time by trying to figure it out for 15 minutes. Just open the solutions manual and look at the answer and solution. Go back to the problem like 3 hours later and see if you can solve it.

How many times did you have to retake Ochem, and you want people to follow your studying advice?:thumbdown: