Organic chem 2, Genetics, and Biochem in one semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C02232934

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A high course load isn't as important as getting the A's, in my opinion. Are you still working? If so, I'd drop something. Organic was a major time-sucker for me....taking 2 other science classes on top of it while also working would have been disastrous.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a good idea to keep a full course load (full-time student), but that doesn't mean all your classes have to be hard science. Since you could really use the A's this semester, I would keep the biochem class and drop either genetics or ochem. Personally, I'd drop genetics, because then you'd have one class where you memorize a lot (biochem) and one class where it's a bit of memorization but mostly problem solving (ochem). Replace genetics with a non-science course.

note: by full course load I do just mean full-time student. Taking 18 over 15 credits will not look more impressive. Good grades are impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi yall! I'm new to the forums, and a pre-med student at a community college. I just wanted to get some people's 2 cents on my predicament. I wanted to take biochem/molecular bio (one course), genetics, and ochem 2 in one semester before I transfer... but this seems like I might be biting off more than I can chew. Last semester wasn't great for me, I tried mixing working with a 16 unit course load and I ended up with all B's in some very important classes. I need to get A's in all the afore mentioned classes, but my counselor says its important to keep a full course load, plus it will most likely delay my graduation from university by one year if I drop biochem/molecular bio. What do you guys think? Thanks!

If you'll still be working, I would drop one of the science courses and pick up something easier. It's obviously possible to get all A's with that workload, but it sounds like you shouldn't take the risk of getting all B's again. You definitely need to put up some solid grades this semester, so focus on 2 of the 3 science courses while still maintaining a full workload.

If you won't be working, then you can take all 3 courses. As long as you put in the time studying, you should be able to get A's.

Hi yall! I'm new to the forums, and a pre-med student at a community college. I just wanted to get some people's 2 cents on my predicament. I wanted to take biochem/molecular bio (one course), genetics, and ochem 2 in one semester before I transfer... but this seems like I might be biting off more than I can chew. Last semester wasn't great for me, I tried mixing working with a 16 unit course load and I ended up with all B's in some very important classes. I need to get A's in all the afore mentioned classes, but my counselor says its important to keep a full course load, plus it will most likely delay my graduation from university by one year if I drop biochem/molecular bio. What do you guys think? Thanks!
You're crazy as balls if you think you're going to take all those classes at once. Screw your counselor. He's a college counselor FFS. He wasn't even good enough at planning to work his way out of that gig. Not being full time won't murder your chances at med school, but bad grades will. Only do what you can handle while getting As.

Last edited:

Last edited:

This is tough. How necessary is it for you to take Genetics and Biochem prior to transferring? If you can help it, I would highly highly recommend putting off those two courses until you transfer. It seems as if you've taken most, if not all, of your pre-reqs at a community college (considering the fact that you're contemplating taking Orgo 2). Taking all your pre-reqs at a community college arguably puts you at a disadvantage from the ADCOMS point of view. To offset this "disadvantage" you would need to take upper-division science courses at a university (Genetics and Biochem) to prove that you can handle the rigors of such courses. Of course you would need to do well in these courses as well (B+ or higher).

It's your call on this one. How did you do in orgo 2? Orgo 2 is easier or just as easy (or just as hard, depending on how you see it) as orgo 1 so expect to put in the same amount of time into orgo 2 as you did in orgo 1. Genetics is easy and biochem will also take time but not as much as orgo. Take all that into consideration.

If you buckle down and study hard, this is definitely possible. Confidence is key.

A high course load isn't as important as getting the A's, in my opinion. Are you still working? If so, I'd drop something. Organic was a major time-sucker for me....taking 2 other science classes on top of it while also working would have been disastrous.

I agree with this. Also, at my school Organic II was a prerequisite for biochem; your school's biochem class might be different, but I would have some concern about it. Also, genetics was time consuming at my school and was considered "hard" by most of my peers (but in fairness that is probably because of the professor and not necessarily the subject matter).

If I can ask, did you ever take a course load like this as an undergrad and get all A's?

I generally received As, but had Bs as well. I had similar workloads during multiple semesters but also held multiple jobs throughout undergrad that were undoubtedly the cause of several Bs. If you don't have to work, you should be able to manage the workload. As others have said, studying in medical school is substantially more time-consuming than undergrad, so it'll prepare you for med school as well.

I took those the same semester, as well as neuroscience and a sociology class. Getting A's is doable with a load like that, but you've got to have good time management skills. If not, it will be awful (as it was for a friend who wound up with a 3.0 that semester with a similar schedule). Proceed accordingly.

I had organic chem/lab, physics/lab, cell biology/lab, and a religion course all in one semester. No denying it was a lot of work. BUT, I thought of it as, "well if I can't handle this, there is no WAY I'll survive medical school". I studied my butt off and did well. You can do it too, just stay on top of everything.

And senior year will be biochem/lab, physical chem/lab, genetics/lab, and some liberal arts credit. Looking forward to that!! Seriously though, if I can do it you can do it.