Organic Chem 2 in the summer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gapeach427

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...Has anyone taken this during the summer? I'm thinking about it...it would be a 4-week course.

Members don't see this ad.

i can't imagine orgo 2 in a 4 week period. It'll probably be an easier class because it would be impossible to cover everything a full lengthed course would cover.

orgo 2 is a tough class, but i find it easier then orgo 1.

Orgo 2 in the summer...good luck.

Although I did find orgo 2 easier than orgo 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I wait until the Spring '08? The class has already filled for Fall '07, and not too many other schools in my area offer it in fall. I'm applying for Fall '08.

I know lots of people who have done it. Most of them did pretty well in the course too, the ones who did not do well were taking other courses and working. If organo 2 is your only commitment during those 4 weeks, no work and no other courses then do it. If organo 1 was really hard in a normal format then maybe that would be a reason to not do it but besides that do it.

Should I wait until the Spring '08? The class has already filled for Fall '07, and not too many other schools in my area offer it in fall. I'm applying for Fall '08.

have you talked to the professor?

organic chem in general have a very high drop rate. I wouldn't be suprised if you explained your situation to him/her and they would allow you in the class.

...Has anyone taken this during the summer? I'm thinking about it...it would be a 4-week course.

It depends on your schedule, do you work full time? unless you can dedicated your time on studying ochem 2 over that 4-week course then you should be fine. I signed up for ochem2 summer course but dropped it because i was working a 32 hour/week shift. My professor told our class that we in order for us to get a good grade, we couldn't work and couldn't have a life really for that period of time. :) So, I am currently taking it this semester, it's so much better.

I did it last summer with the lab in the first 6-week session. Didn't work or anything during that time.

It was pretty brutal (my tue. and thurs. i was basically in the chem building from 9:30am to 5pm). Basically a full time job in studying o. chem. I ended up with a B in both.

So, yeah, its pretty difficult but there's nothing like taking the final and walking out of there realizing you made it through 6 weeks of hell and now its over with and you still have most of your summer to relax.

I dunno about 4 weeks, though... that seems like a bit of a stretch.

i did orgo 1 in summer 1 got an A and orgo 2 summer 2 (both 4 weeks ) got a B studied ALOT really ALOT and it also depends on your professor

I would not recommend taking Orgo I or II during the summer. Sounds like a death sentence to me--but I must admit, there was a time that I contemplated on taking Organic I & II back-to-back during one summer (4 weeks each).

I decided against that idea--smart move. Organic is a subject I personally needed the time to digest. I would not have done as well.

Turns out, I did very well in Organic I & II (straight A's) taken during a full semester. Organic chem grades are very important when applying to a PharmD program. They are often the first to be looked at.

That being said, if taking Organic II during the summer is a MUST, I would advise speaking to the professor first. I would ask questions about the retention rate and average grades during the class. Also, plan to set aside MUCH-O time for studying and digestion.

On a lighter note, I did find Organic II to be easier than Organic I. :)

Best of luck!
-PmP

I believe if you make up your mind and you're ready to dedicate all the 4 weeks to just Organic 2, you should be fine. Saying this from experience,it was a lot of work, and I'm sure anyone/everyone will tell you the very same thing. Pretty intense and all that but not undoable. I got an "A" in the class but a "B" in the lab simply because all I was focusing on was the class which by itself is a lot of work.

You will be just fine believe me.

I'm going to do it too, so I wish both of us good luck!

i took orgo 2 in the summer as a 4 week course. it SUCKED. BUT, i learned so much and i almost got an A in it. the only reason i didnt get an A was that by the time the final came around, i was doing so well and i was so sick of studying that i decided to take it easy.

it is ALL you do for 4 weeks. im talking 3 hours of lecture, 3 hours of lab, and then 2-3 of homework/studying every day. but then, its over over over. the reason i took it during the summer anyway was that i withdrew from it during the normal semester because i was failing it. i had a hard time keeping up with it during the semester, but during the summer, you have no choice BUT to keep up.

all in all, i say its a good idea :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i did orgo 1 in summer 1 got an A and orgo 2 summer 2 (both 4 weeks ) got a B studied ALOT really ALOT and it also depends on your professor

Thats great because I plan on taking chem 1 and chem 2 this summer in 4 week 1 & 2 format.

i'm now thinking of just taking ochem I during the summer (6 weeks, 5 unit class) and i'm not sure if it'd be too intense. Lec and lab is MTWThF 8am-1pm. what do you guys think if you say it's harder than ochem II? :(

i'm now thinking of just taking ochem I during the summer (6 weeks, 5 unit class) and i'm not sure if it'd be too intense. Lec and lab is MTWThF 8am-1pm. what do you guys think if you say it's harder than ochem II? :(

I think the reason people think O. Chem 2 is easier is because you learn all the reaction mechanics, properties, little nuances, etc. in O. Chem 1 and then basically apply what you learned in O. Chem 1 in O. Chem 2 by doing tons of reactions. If you're good at memorizing, O. Chem 2 will probably be easier for you.

That being said, I never thought O. Chem in general was terribly hard... I honestly thought gen. chem. was harder and far less interesting to study.

Do you know why your class is 5 credits? Both o. chem 1 and 2 for me were 4 credits each (3 lecture + 1 lab).

I'm taking Ochem 2 and A&P2 over the summer. At my college, A&P is offered in the 10 week session and Ochem2 in the 8 week session. I'm not planning on working during the chem class; I'm also not planning on focusing very much on the A&P since that has always been pretty easy for me, and I've taken an Anatomy class about four years ago. However, the chem class is being taught by a very difficult instructor (so I've heard). I just need a C in it since I've already been accepted to a pharmacy school, so I really hope I can pull it off! I think I will be able to since I'm getting an A in Ochem 1 right now, and the instructor is also suppose to be difficult (I don't think he's that bad, but I am the only A in the class and most people are getting like C's and D's). I guess we'll see. Good luck to everyone that's taking Ochem 2 over the summer!

I'm taking Ochem 2 and A&P2 over the summer. At my college, A&P is offered in the 10 week session and Ochem2 in the 8 week session. I'm not planning on working during the chem class; I'm also not planning on focusing very much on the A&P since that has always been pretty easy for me, and I've taken an Anatomy class about four years ago. However, the chem class is being taught by a very difficult instructor (so I've heard). I just need a C in it since I've already been accepted to a pharmacy school, so I really hope I can pull it off! I think I will be able to since I'm getting an A in Ochem 1 right now, and the instructor is also suppose to be difficult (I don't think he's that bad, but I am the only A in the class and most people are getting like C's and D's). I guess we'll see. Good luck to everyone that's taking Ochem 2 over the summer!

wow, tough! good luck!!

as to the oriinal question, I've taken OChem 2 during the summer, it was a 6week course.... I got an A-, but that had to be earned. I was studying with a partner once a week for 4 hours, catching up on hw, drilling each other, basically compensating each other's knowledge... I worked as well, I think did 14sthg hours... that wasn't too too bad.

I think it also depend on what professor you're having.
I would say,the grade you get on Ochem2 if u decide to take it during the summer will have a big factor on ur application, if you do great, that it's a very positive factor!

I took organic chem 1 and 2 in the summer and it was pretty intense. I remember studying all day long, from like 8 in the morning to sometimes midnight. If you do end up taking the course, don't think about working, cause you won't have time to do that.

I took Organic II over the summer along with another course, and I was working close to 30 hours a week at the time (and did well in both classes :) ). I didn't think it was that bad... It is a big commitment but if you're willing to put the time into it, it's definitely possible. I also thought that Orgo II was easier than Orgo I (and more interesting!) Good luck!! :)

Will it hurt my chances of being accepted if I take Orgo 2 in Spring '08? I'll be a 2008 pharm applicant. I have an A- in Orgo 1.

I don't think waiting to take it spring '08 would hurt your chances, but taking it in summer is not that bad if you just study hard.

I did it in 5 weeks with the lab. It was probably the hardest class with the HARDEST professor ever!!! I came out alive with a B. I was in class from 9:30AM to 2:30PM. On top of that, I took Mythology and Sociology online and worked 20+ hours a week. My O-chem professor found out I was also taking other courses, and she told me to drop them cause she didn't think I would be able to handle all of that. I actually did very well that quarter. All I did was study, study, study. Looking back, I don't even know how I survived.

Will it hurt my chances of being accepted if I take Orgo 2 in Spring '08? I'll be a 2008 pharm applicant. I have an A- in Orgo 1.

I have applied for school this upcoming fall. I am currently taking o. chem 2 and both the schools i applied to told me they have to wait to make a decision about my admission status until they receive my O. chem score. The two schools are Univ. of AZ and Univ. of Montana. I'm sure there are other factors, but it seems that they really look at those o. chem grades. So maybe try and take it before the fall. I'm sure all schools are different. Contact the schools you're applying to and see what they recommend!

Personally, I did O-Chem II in the summer, aced it. I did well in O-Chem I, though, and I really did work hard to do well in O-Chem II. Mine was a 5 week course, we did as much work and material as the long semester people did, we just took an exam every Friday. Also, we took the ACS at the end just like everyone else. It was tough, but I've recommended the summer course for part 2 to so many people since taking it.

BTW, I worked about 20 hours a week while I was in there, and had an on-line art appreciation class (actually one of the hardest courses I've ever taken, sadly) at the same time and I survived. But believe me, I was so happy for those 5 weeks to be over with.