vugu62

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
For those of you who were accepted this year into medical school what were your grades in Organic Chem?

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Status (Visible)
Alright, I'll say something here. I would say that as long as you can pull an A or a B then you should be just fine. And keep the second semester strong too, that's where people tend to go down the drain. But remember, it's the overall picture so a semester with a B in Orgo II and an A in other classes is going to be ok.

About the Ads

scrabbler

too much sugar
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
If you're worried about your grade in organic chemistry, just do the best you can and make up for it by doing well on the biological sciences section of the MCAT. No one grade is going to kill you.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Procrastination Island
Status (Visible)
Are two posts on the same subject really necessary?
I agree... check out the thread you posted 3 minutes prior to this one for your answer...!

However, if you'd started several similar threads entitled "If I want to go to Harvard vs. School XYZ what OChem grades do I need?" that would fit right in. :p

Sorry if you're stressing, though - I'm sure that you'll be ok in the long run!

vmiskin

Eph.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
it depends on how hard your course is (how tough your school is); your mcat score, and your overall profile - just orgo isn't going to make or break your acceptance. i got b's both semesters.

chintu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2002
Status (Visible)
I had an A in both orgo I and II. That's partly cuz I am was a biochem major and partly cuz I loved orgo. As said before, an A is not needed, but looks good I guess.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
Status (Visible)
lol, NS i thought you were just bragging :)

seriously, people get in with Cs in ochem all the time. trussst me. a C or two here and there isn't going to hurt you at all if your overall app is good, gpa is strong, upward trend, etc.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by bella_dottoressa
lol, NS i thought you were just bragging :)

seriously, people get in with Cs in ochem all the time. trussst me. a C or two here and there isn't going to hurt you at all if your overall app is good, gpa is strong, upward trend, etc.

true.

but for what its worth. As in the 3 semesters of ochem at cal.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
First, the most important thing is to complete your pre-reqs for med school, which includes OChem. Med schools look at your grades in multiple ways, which include:

1) Cumulative
2) by year
3) by quarter
4) by subject (science vs. non-science)

Getting an A or B never hurts anyone. But then again if you get a C, and its just because Ochem doesn't mix well with you but you excelled at other challenging classes like Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, etc, whatever. Who the hell cares if you got all C's in OChem. The whole idea that Ochem "weeds out pre-meds" is a myth. It probably does well to weed them out psychologically, but last I checked, OChem probably applies for the Biochemistry you take in med school, but unless you're going into research, thats the last time you're ever going to see it.

The only reason why the whole myth got started was because Ochem is sometimes used to gauge how well you can deal with large loads of material for memorization and application. In this case Ochem does a good job. However what is factored in is what you did when you were taking OChem. Taking OChem, and then 3 lower division GPA boosting classes doesn't tell anyone anything. If someone got a C in OChem, while taking Engineering courses for example says something. Same applies to every other class out there. This is one of the factors why Post-bacc programs work. At least half the time, post-bacc students have already taken Ochem. They take other upper division courses, and these people do get in.

I got an A, and 2 B's in OChem for chemistry majors, and 2 B's in advanced synthesis for OChem. Also am a surviver of PChem..hehe. That class's difficulty is also a myth.

evenstar

sausage monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
The Great Northwest
Status (Visible)
Just to reiterate what everyone has been saying here, no one grade will keep you from getting in...in fact, even *multiple* grades won't break you, provided you attempt to rectify the situation. To illustrate:

Freshman year I got a B- in the first OChem class I took (I went to a school on a quarter system, so we had 3 required courses and 2 lab classes). Chemistry was never my strong suit, but the B- *really* put me off the subject. The next quarter, I took my second OChem class and got a C+. Not wanting that on my transcript, I decided to take the class over sophomore year. Unfortunately, having to endure a class I did dismally in a second time just compounded my defeatist attitude and I actually did WORSE, scoring a horrendous C.

So, while this situation seems totally unsalvageable, what happened was I decided to take some time off from OChem and focused on getting a good string of grades going in my other classes. I started up again with my 3rd OChem class at the end of junior year, which, I'll admit, was really hard, because I obviously never understood the fundamentals covered in the first two classes. But, I put more effort into it than I had previously and tried to approach the material without the intense hatred I had harbored before. I got a B in that class, went on to get an A and an A- in the two lab courses, and actually discovered that OChem could be fun and interesting!

Okay, so this is totally turning into, like, one of those cheesy inspirational After School Specials about overcoming adversity. But my point is, everyone makes mistakes in life, and adcoms are aware of that. During interviews, my poor performance in OChem did get mentioned from time to time, and I've always explained it just as it is, like I did here. Even when my grades aren't brought up specifically, I've found the situation to be a good example of a challenge I've faced and learned from. I think as long as you are able to put bad grades in this kind of a perspective and show that you recognize areas in which you need to improve, it's not going to hurt you, and may even be an advantage.

F

ForensicPath

A- and B+. I took OChem right around the time when I decided to start doing well in college.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.