Organic Chem Class, Genetics, Bio statistics, and Sociology in One semester (15 credits)... Will this be Hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivygisselle28

Reaction score
This semester I have to take Organic Chem with the lab, Bio statistics I, Genetics, and Sociology for 15 credits. I've already taken all of my easier courses so now all I'm left with are harder science courses. Do you guys think this will be manageable?

And then next semester I would have to take Animal Phys, biochemistry, Intro to Methods in Biotechnology, Physics with lab and philosophy of science (also 15 credits).

Should I move anything around or should this schedule be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Nah this is pretty standard actually. I did the same thing one semester except also taking Music Theory (18 credits total) and got all A's. It's not easy but doable if you put effort in. By the way, Sociology is generally a very easy course.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you realize that it's hard. You don't need us to tell you it's hard. Your performance is going to be based on how well you manage your time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I remember busy college now!! Very hard times, but if you are strong and good student, you will get through this like all the other doctors on the same path. Good luck!!

I took a very similar schedule as a sophomore, Organic Chemistry II with lab (5 credits total), Biostatistics (4 credits), Health Psychology (3 credits), Psychology of Grief (3 credits), and then research + TAing (2 credits) - 17 credits total, finished with a 4.0. It was a busy and challenging semester, but it was also the turning point in college that showed me I was capable of hard work and success. That motivation encouraged me to take more rigorous course loads in the subsequent semesters.

At least at my college, biostats and sociology aren't very rigorous courses. Just because it's a STEM/Med School prereq doesn't mean it's as challenging as things like Orgo. You should be fine.

I took genetics, orgo and forensic biology together. Just manage your time,study hard, and stay motivated and youll be fine. good luck

Biology II, Physics II, Organic II, and Biochemistry all with lab in the same semester. Lots of work but doable.

• Wow
Nah this is pretty standard actually. I did the same thing one semester except also taking Music Theory (18 credits total) and got all A's. It's not easy but doable if you put effort in. By the way, Sociology is generally a very easy course.
Alright thanks! any tips on how you managed your time and studied for everything?

Took a similar schedule (orgo II, stats, sociology, and a history course). Intro Sociology is usually pretty easy, at least it was for my uni. Orgo and Genetics will be your time soakers depending on how good you are with stats/math. Definitely be ready to put the time in for orgo, and don't be afraid to utilize office hours/tutoring etc.

Like others have said, decently standard schedule.

I did immuno, endo, and med micro all in one semester. That was rough hahaa.

Alright thanks! any tips on how you managed your time and studied for everything?
Just basically spent any time I needed to make sure I understood the material while giving myself enough time to keep relaxed. For me, that involved spending a little more time alone to work on myself, but that might not work for you. Just try to give yourself enough of a break where it doesn't feel like the world is crashing down on you then you should be able to manage it.

This semester I have to take Organic Chem with the lab, Bio statistics I, Genetics, and Sociology for 15 credits. I've already taken all of my easier courses so now all I'm left with are harder science courses. Do you guys think this will be manageable?

And then next semester I would have to take Animal Phys, biochemistry, Intro to Methods in Biotechnology, Physics with lab and philosophy of science (also 15 credits).

Should I move anything around or should this schedule be fine.
I would ask people at your university what they think imo. every school is so different, and every prof is so different. Genetics or biostats could be easy at one school and brutal at another so you can't really scope (orgo 2 is pretty brutal across the board though) difficulty. from a credit standpoint 15 is not to difficult. I took 21 credits every semester for three years (triple major life) and that was doable while playing a (d3) sport with proper prioritizing.

I would ask people at your university what they think imo. every school is so different, and every prof is so different. Genetics or biostats could be easy at one school and brutal at another so you can't really scope (orgo 2 is pretty brutal across the board though) difficulty. from a credit standpoint 15 is not to difficult. I took 21 credits every semester for three years (triple major life) and that was doable while playing a (d3) sport with proper prioritizing.
Ohh that had to take a lot of time management. Do you have any tips on how to organize a good realistic study plan? I have trouble with time management sometimes

Ohh that had to take a lot of time management. Do you have any tips on how to organize a good realistic study plan? I have trouble with time management sometimes
Not particularly. I also did research in two labs, and volunteered like 12-16 hrs/wk... it was brutal hahaha. I was fortunate enough to close out about 3.9ish's every semester (I still am convinced partly luck tbh).

My #1 piece of advise would be first week of classes grab every syllabus for the classes and put everything that will be graded with the dates into a planner. Starting the semester off with at least a little bit of structure will help you kick the semester off with your head above water (and even potentially get in head). It's when students are going through syllabus week and the first few weeks laxidasically (enjoying themselves... "I'll get too it later") and suddenly get swarmed by the first wave of tests that they begin to drown. And from that point it cascades into a crap shoot. Make coffee your best friend, be ready to pull all nighters if you have too, and try as hard as you can to stay ahead of the ball game.

took genetics, microbiology, biochemistry 1, Kinesiology (exercise physiology is one of my majors), and sociology all in the same semester. It was a GRIND and I hated every minute of it but you adapt in whatever ways you have too. (I was done with my senior year of football at the time so luckily I didn't have sports to worry about)