Organic Chem Destroyer or "Ochem Odyssey"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkelly0907

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished going through the Ochem Odyssey, and I feel like some questions are overkill. Do I have to absolutely understand every problem? Want some opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

are you studying odyssey for DAT or your orgo class?

odyssey is not for DAT. I mean I felt like it was major overkill... I think orgo from destroyer is a better study tool (DAT wise)

If I were to choose to study only certain chapters from the ODYSSEY for my DAT, which chapters should those be?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were to choose to study only certain chapters from the ODYSSEY for my DAT, which chapters should those be?

Umm, when I struggled with certain chapters in orgo in my DAT preparation, i just cracked open my orgo text book and learned it from there. Although, I never tried it, I guess you can do the same thing with odyssey?

you can choose to disregard my opinion since I have not yet taken my DAT ... anyhow, I felt like first 8 chapters in the Odyssey were somewhat helpful and the chapters on aromatics and carbonyl compounds were way over the limit. And the rest were okay. Good luck studying =)

just on the side note, I started studying the Odyssey because a friend of mine who is a second yr student at Tufts dentistry told me his orgo score jumped from 17 to 24 on the actual DAT after studying the Odyssey.

Honestly, I think the Organic on the DAT was relatively simple. I think if you understand everything in Kaplan and understand all of the DAT Destroyer Ochem questions, you should be solid. Personally, I don't have Odyssey so I don't really know what it entails, but I think if you know Destroyer cold, you should be good.

I just got through most of Odyssey. And it was SO difficult towards the end. That book is definitely overkill. I just had to stop at aldehydes and ketones.

I just got through most of Odyssey. And it was SO difficult towards the end. That book is definitely overkill. I just had to stop at aldehydes and ketones.

have you taken any practice tests after going through some of Odyssey?

Which sections of Odyssey were good?

Which sections are unnecessary?

Why did you stop at alds and ketones?

The first few chapters were good. I stopped at aldehydes and ketones because it was just way too difficult.I still haven't taken any practice tests, I'm saving all the tests for late May.

Hope this helps brah

i havent taken the dat yet but i have odyssey and what i have been doing is watching over a chad video and then jump straight into that particular odyssey chapter. I think it really drives home those concepts.