Organic chem first then inorganic chem???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabrillo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took these classes a long time ago so I really dont remember much about them. I am almost done with EK bio and I am planning to move into inorganic chem but at the same time I would like to do ochem first ( before inorganic chem ) to complete with the biological part of the MCAT test which includes bio and ochem. This will allow me to take complete test of the bio mcat test form TPR, AAMC and Kaplan. My questions is, is it really necessary to complete inorganic chem before ochem? or is it better to do inorganic chem and then ochem. Thanks :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I took these classes a long time ago so I really dont remember much about them. I am almost done with EK bio and I am planning to move into inorganic chem but at the same time I would like to do ochem first ( before inorganic chem ) to complete with the biological part of the MCAT test which includes bio and ochem. This will allow me to take complete test of the bio mcat test form TPR, AAMC and Kaplan. My questions is, is it really necessary to complete inorganic chem before ochem? or is it better to do inorganic chem and then ochem. Thanks :confused:
the only real overlap there exists between the two are the SP hyridizations and the concept of resonance. Other then that, I dont see why you would need to do inorganic before organic

i took orgo and i am taking inorganic chemistry this semester(i am retaking it ) and i have to say that after orgo it makes so much more sense :D

It was over a decade since I had those classes. I actually retook general chemistry and I feel like I got lucky because the prof is a physical chemist (and really thorough to boot) so the course is covering aspects of physics and ochem as well.

That being said, if you are prepping for the MCAT in April or May, I would sink more time now into general chem than ochem if you are at the same level in both. OChem is only 25% of the bio section while gen chem is 50% of the physical science section. You will be reviewing orbital hybridization in gen chem too.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was over a decade since I had those classes. I actually retook general chemistry and I feel like I got lucky because the prof is a physical chemist (and really thorough to boot) so the course is covering aspects of physics and ochem as well.

That being said, if you are prepping for the MCAT in April or May, I would sink more time now into general chem than ochem if you are at the same level in both. OChem is only 25% of the bio section while gen chem is 50% of the physical science section. You will be reviewing orbital hybridization in gen chem too.

same here I took them a while ago:eek: and good advice which makes complete sense according to the breakdown seen in the MCAT sections. :thumbup:

Honestly I felt that Orgo and Inorganic were totally diff courses. Inorganic was based alot on formulas and calculations where as organic is based conceptually on mechanisms and certain elemental properties. I loved organic!!

I took organic 1 and 2 before i took inorganic. There isn't very much organic knowledge required for inorganic, except maybe a better understanding of some reaction in inorganic. It helps to view everything as Lewis acids and bases.

If anything, I'd say physical chemistry would be more useful for inorganic than organic is.

I took organic 1 and 2 before i took inorganic. There isn't very much organic knowledge required for inorganic, except maybe a better understanding of some reaction in inorganic. It helps to view everything as Lewis acids and bases.

If anything, I'd say physical chemistry would be more useful for inorganic than organic is.

That's because physical chemistry is basically "general chemistry on steroids" as many people say. Even with the extreme difficulty of the class, it is really going to help on the MCAT with such in depth knowledge on thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, etc.