Organic Chem II on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissGlassSir

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how much Orgo II is on the MCAT?? I kind of need to take them before I take Orgo II and I was hoping to teach myself whatever I needed - I know people may think this is a bad idea but I have no other choice unless I want to wait a whole other year (and please, no one say that I'll be waiting a whole other year if I don't do well on the MCAT - I am well aware!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, there is very little organic on the MCAT. Both tests I took, there was only 1 passage on organic and possible 1 discrete question. I'm not familiar with what is covered in your organic I and II classes, but I think a semester will be enough.

I had tons of organic on my MCAT. Less than half, but a substantial amount still. I'd say 30-40% was organic questions. Mostly organic I, very little required anything from organic II.

I taught myself a lot of the MCAT subjects, but organic was one at which I failed miserably. Thank God some basic biology was included in that score, or I would have completely bombed that section.

I found on both MCATs that I have taken were very heavy in organic chemistry. I took both before taking organic 2, thinking I would be okay, but I wasn't. The way they teach Organic chemistry at my university, Orgo 1 is mostly engineering topics, while Orgo 2 focuses on more reaction types and such. I taught myself as much as I could, but wound up very ill before the exams.

i agree...i got varying amounts of organic on my practice tests, but on the real thing i had about 30-40% organic on my BS section....so it would be better to prepare for it as much as you can. really i noticed a LOT of organic II material and not a lot of Org I, but maybe it was just the version that I had. I would be scared to take the MCAT without taking Org I, but once you've had it you probably have the basics to teach yourself Org II. maybe that's just me though!