Organic chem in the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbcnm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever taken organic chem in the summer? How horrible/doable was it? 6 weeks for orgo 1 and 6 weeks for orgo 2.

tbcnm

Members don't see this ad.

I was considering to do the same thing but take orgo 1 in summer 2. Then take orgo 2 in the fall since next year I have to apply I was hoping to knock down orgo and have some knowledge of it when I start studying for the mcat.

Is it wise to take it in the summer?

It varies from school to school, professor to professor.

Really, the professor makes the class... and the school offers it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it during the summer and enjoyed it. I liked the quick pace. We had an exam every week.

the question of whether its doable or not is 90% based on the professor teaching it, 9% on how serious you are, and 1% luck.

dude you'll be fine...

I took orgo 2 in the summer and I did great, but I love summer classes; the fast pace works really well for me.

You guys are makeing me feel a bit more at ease with this choice. I have always loved summer classes because of the quick pace. It always seem to weed out the unneccessiary stuff they can throw into a semester to fluff it.

I have well over 200 college credit hours so I do believe I have the determination. I will just pray I get a good teacher. They are offering 2 class with two teachers. I am going to have to do some professor checking.

thanks
tbcnm

It's doable, but man, what a way to spend a summer. Good luck!

Are you also planning on doing the lab? The orgo labs at my school require a LOT of time and there is virtually no help from a TA.

I guess I had to change my mind about orgo 1 in summer 2 because of the cost for that class. How much orgo 2 is on the mcat because I was going to start studying for the mcat in august until the January 2011 mcat. That means orgo 2 will be taken in the spring, what a bummer.

I think I can learn a lot before orgo 1 with the books I have. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Honestly, not a ton. It is mostly ochem 1. Many students (I was not one of them) took ochem 2 while studying for the mcat. If you get the exam krackers ochem books (I think you have some of them?), you just need to know those reactions. Get a tutor to cover just those reactions and the NMR, IR if you didn't go over it in depth first semester. Hope this helps.

You should be fine to take ochem I in the summer and the mcat in January. Usually I give advice on the conservative side, so there you go.

I guess I had to change my mind about orgo 1 in summer 2 because of the cost for that class. How much orgo 2 is on the mcat because I was going to start studying for the mcat in august until the January 2011 mcat. That means orgo 2 will be taken in the spring, what a bummer.

I think I can learn a lot before orgo 1 with the books I have. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: