tbcnm

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone here ever taken organic chem in the summer? How horrible/doable was it? 6 weeks for orgo 1 and 6 weeks for orgo 2.

tbcnm

elftown

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
My school doesn't offer Organic Chemistry in the summer. They only offer General Chemistry. :shrug:

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
I was considering to do the same thing but take orgo 1 in summer 2. Then take orgo 2 in the fall since next year I have to apply I was hoping to knock down orgo and have some knowledge of it when I start studying for the mcat.

Is it wise to take it in the summer?

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It varies from school to school, professor to professor.

Really, the professor makes the class... and the school offers it!

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
I took it during the summer and enjoyed it. I liked the quick pace. We had an exam every week.

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
the question of whether its doable or not is 90% based on the professor teaching it, 9% on how serious you are, and 1% luck.

dude you'll be fine...

tbcnm

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
You guys are makeing me feel a bit more at ease with this choice. I have always loved summer classes because of the quick pace. It always seem to weed out the unneccessiary stuff they can throw into a semester to fluff it.

I have well over 200 college credit hours so I do believe I have the determination. I will just pray I get a good teacher. They are offering 2 class with two teachers. I am going to have to do some professor checking.

thanks
tbcnm

Jun 25, 2009
Status
It's doable, but man, what a way to spend a summer. Good luck!

Bayonetwork

7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Are you also planning on doing the lab? The orgo labs at my school require a LOT of time and there is virtually no help from a TA.

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
I guess I had to change my mind about orgo 1 in summer 2 because of the cost for that class. How much orgo 2 is on the mcat because I was going to start studying for the mcat in august until the January 2011 mcat. That means orgo 2 will be taken in the spring, what a bummer.

I think I can learn a lot before orgo 1 with the books I have. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Jun 7, 2009
In the land of cicadas and Spanish moss
Status
Medical Student
Honestly, not a ton. It is mostly ochem 1. Many students (I was not one of them) took ochem 2 while studying for the mcat. If you get the exam krackers ochem books (I think you have some of them?), you just need to know those reactions. Get a tutor to cover just those reactions and the NMR, IR if you didn't go over it in depth first semester. Hope this helps.

You should be fine to take ochem I in the summer and the mcat in January. Usually I give advice on the conservative side, so there you go.

I guess I had to change my mind about orgo 1 in summer 2 because of the cost for that class. How much orgo 2 is on the mcat because I was going to start studying for the mcat in august until the January 2011 mcat. That means orgo 2 will be taken in the spring, what a bummer.

I think I can learn a lot before orgo 1 with the books I have. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: