Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

organic chem & physics

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JRock310, May 14, 2008.

1. JRock310

2+ Year Member

i am taking them this fall and would love some tips!!!

i am honestly so nervous because i have never taken any physics before, not even in high school like some ppl in my classes...i did not really like gen chem I or II, so hopefully organic will be more interesting to me.

ive heard sooo many diff things about these classes, both good and bad, so i just wanted to know if you guys have any advice as to if there's anything i could do to prepare this summer for them (someone had suggested Organic Chemistry as a Second Language), or just any tips for when i do start them in the fall.

thanks!

2. 87138

87138 Guest

Medical Student
    My cheap and easy advice that goes for both schools: put the time in and do plenty of problems. For both Physics and OChem, repetition tends to be key.

3. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i second that...

i did every single problem in my ochem book (over the course of two semesters). literally. that is thousands of problems. i also did practice tests and homeworks all the time. it will make the difference. also, if you can read before hand, do it (i never had time to do it but always wanted to). it will make lecture at least somewhat worth going to cuz its pretty hard to grasp when you are seeing it for the firs ttime, at least for me. i would go to lecture, understand absolutely nothing, go home, read, and do practice problems.

4. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

I'll echo what rogerwilco said. Do that, and you should be fine. I did well in physics without ever having taken it before. Heck, I hadn't even taken trig before that. Worked my backside off doing every problem in the book & going over them with the solution manual. I learned it and came out fine.

The following semester I took trig & calculus and was surprised at how much easier they were to understand after taking physics. I wouldn't advise anyone to do that, though. The point is that it works in both directions. If you've taken either of those, and you probably have, you have more preparation than I did.

5. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Oh, and ochem was one of the most enjoyable classes I've taken. Work plenty of problems and do your best to master the material as you go, because each section builds on the ones before.

6. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    "Optional homework problems are not optional if you want to get an A."

7. JRock310

2+ Year Member

im taking calculus this summer so hopefully that will help!

i actually was going to buy the book within the next couple weeks and start reading. just wasnt sure if that was "too much." gen chem was just really hard for me, i def had to work my *** off to do well, so this is me: :eek:when i thik of taking orgo and physics

8. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    gen chem and ochem arent really related. you can do well in ochem if you didnt do so hot in gen chem. at my school they even changed it so that the sequence is gen chem I, ochem I, ochem II, gen chem II.

i'm already done with it so it doesnt effect me, but its interesting they chose to do it that way.

9. Livingapparatus

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am guessing your taking general physics?

Calc wont help much there except make you a more adept problem solver and help with the idea of rates, acceleration and velocity. But before the class starts you should really know your trig.

organic- understanding is pivotal do not waste your time memorizing each reaction. BTW gen chem and organic chem are completly different

good luck.

10. BlackSails

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Orgo is nearly completely logical. Once in a while you will get something that you really just have to know (ie, in Fischer Esterfication, its the acid-Oxygen that is lost, not the alcohol oxygen), but nearly all the time, with patience, a clear head and an understanding of the principles, you can work through nearly any problem.

For physics, learn calc. Even if the class isnt calc based, it will still help you alot.