Organic Chem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerryLo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do electron withdrawing groups increase or decrease the acidity on a compound? or does it depend on what type of compound it is? I'm getting confused because I thought that electron withdrawing groups stabilized a compound and thus increased acidity.

Members don't see this ad.

Do electron withdrawing groups increase or decrease the acidity on a compound? or does it depend on what type of compound it is? I'm getting confused because I thought that electron withdrawing groups stabilized a compound and thus increased acidity.
Electron withdrawing groups do increase the acidity and donatoing groups reduce acidity and increase basicity, this is related to inductive and resonance effects, and at some point it gets quite complex because one effect might be stronger than the other and thus creates some conflicting groups, that we really do not need to get into for the scope of this test, just know which groups are donating and which are withdrawing and decide based on that.
Keep it simple,:laugh::laugh: