1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Organic Chem Questions: H3O+ , H+, OH

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by pandalove89, Jul 28, 2011.

1. pandalove89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys,

this may sound really stupid...

But during reactions if the last step is H3O+, H+, or OH, what does it mean?

I understand sometimes its coupled with certain other reactants, but sometimes I get really stuck.

For example say there is reactant 1 (---> 1. ) then 2 (--> 2. ) but then the last step it says (3. --H3O+-->)

I just get stuck.

Any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FROGGBUSTER

2+ Year Member

It could be a way to simply protonate something, or it could actually be a reactant that for example transforms an acyl halide into a carboxylic acid.

4. PooyaH

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    H3O+ or H+ create a reducing environment assuring that the end product will become protonated.

5. pandalove89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Okay for example, if you have ketone group with a double bond somewhere in it and react it with 1) LiAlH4 ---> 2) H3O+

1st: obviously the Oxygen on the ketone group will get reduced to a secondary alcohol.

2nd: So in this case wouldnt the H3O+ somehow protonate either the newly formed alcohol or even protonate carbons on the double bond to make it a single bond?

6. indigenoustw

indigenoustw Am I picking my nose or showing my shaka?
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LiAlH4 is like a hydride anion. It attacks the electrophilic carbonyl carbon, so the oxygen will eventually bear a negative charge. That negative charge formed is stabilized by having Li+ around. So you will see ----O- Li+ from the first step. H3O+ will protonate that oxygen to give you the alcohol.

7. needzmoar

No, the negatively charged tetrahedral will get neutralized (assuming 1:1 molar equivalence)