1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Organic Chem Questions: H3O+ , H+, OH

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by pandalove89, Jul 28, 2011.

1. pandalove89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys,

this may sound really stupid...

But during reactions if the last step is H3O+, H+, or OH, what does it mean?

I understand sometimes its coupled with certain other reactants, but sometimes I get really stuck.

For example say there is reactant 1 (---> 1. ) then 2 (--> 2. ) but then the last step it says (3. --H3O+-->)

I just get stuck.

Any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FROGGBUSTER

2+ Year Member

It could be a way to simply protonate something, or it could actually be a reactant that for example transforms an acyl halide into a carboxylic acid.

4. PooyaH

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    H3O+ or H+ create a reducing environment assuring that the end product will become protonated.

5. pandalove89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Okay for example, if you have ketone group with a double bond somewhere in it and react it with 1) LiAlH4 ---> 2) H3O+

1st: obviously the Oxygen on the ketone group will get reduced to a secondary alcohol.

2nd: So in this case wouldnt the H3O+ somehow protonate either the newly formed alcohol or even protonate carbons on the double bond to make it a single bond?

6. indigenoustw

indigenoustw Am I picking my nose or showing my shaka?
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LiAlH4 is like a hydride anion. It attacks the electrophilic carbonyl carbon, so the oxygen will eventually bear a negative charge. That negative charge formed is stabilized by having Li+ around. So you will see ----O- Li+ from the first step. H3O+ will protonate that oxygen to give you the alcohol.

7. needzmoar

No, the negatively charged tetrahedral will get neutralized (assuming 1:1 molar equivalence)