1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Organic Chem score = success in dental school?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by crazy4clana, Jun 12, 2008.

1. crazy4clana

Pre-Dental
    The dentist I am currently shadowing told me that the Organic Chem score you receive on the DAT determines how successful you will be dental school. She also used to be a professor at a prestigious dental school. Did anybody here about this? Is it true?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DanNuch

Pre-Dental
    i hope this is true.... ive also heard RC is the most important (which i hope is not true)

16 in RC
    27 in Ochem

so clearly its all opinion based, hahah

4. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    Haha, I don't believe this at all. How would just o-chem decide how well you do in dental school. If anything, I would think RC (due to being able to read and understand things), Bio (it is a biological science) and PAT (being able to deduce various views of teeth) would be important. What basis is your statement on? O-chem is important, but is that the sole factor that determines success in dental school.......are you out of your mind?!??!??!

5. DDSguyLA

Pre-Dental
  6. Sea of ASH

my kaplan instructor said that they did a study or something and they found a positive correlation b/t RC and dental school success. i didnt hear anythink about Orgo

7. ProHeartBreaker

Pre-Dental
    Good-looking in combination with RC will be a good indicator of success in dental school. :D

8. crazy4clana

Pre-Dental
    I was just asking because she seemed pretty adamant on that fact and she used to teach at a dental school so wouldn't she know how well students did?

9. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    True, but the point everyone else is making is that why just the OC section?? There is no OC class in dental school as far as I know. Now, if she said AA or TS score, then there would be a valid case, b/c those include all the "science" sections and academics. But the OC section alone determining sole success in dental school!!!. You must be too gullible to believe such a strong fact?

10. crazy4clana

Pre-Dental
    Your missing the point, I'm not gullible about this fact. :rolleyes: Do you know the importance of Organic Chemistry? The basis of life? I'm taking about students who did well in organic chem in undergrad will probably do well in dental school because you WILL learn biochem, physio, and other sciences. Dentistry is a science you know. It's not the score that will determine your success, it's the correlation between the two.

11. TheWiredNerv

Pre-Dental
    Many schools told me on interviews that RC score gives the strongest correlation to how one may do in Dental School. I don't think there is a strong correlation between ochem and how well you do in D school.

12. vert

Pre-Dental
    Msg deleted.

#11 vert, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  13. Simiam

Dental Student
    I always heard it was the RC and PAT...

14. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    1.) Obviously students that have high scores on the OC section are good students.....therefore will do well in dental school.
    2.) O-chem is just 1 science course, and is not the most important. Biology is way more important......since Dentistry is "biological science", and has very little complex o-chem or any for that matter.
    3.) I would seriously hope as a competitive dental school applicant that you have taken biology courese in undergrad such as: biochem, physio classes, and histology...........if not, then seeing biochem for the first time in dental school is going to be tough.

15. crazy4clana

Pre-Dental
    I think chemistry is more important, you do have to have 2 years as opposed to 1 year of intro Bio for dental school admissions. Cell and Molec is important though.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. doc toothache

Dentist
  18. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    Thank you. Without a study I could have told you Bio and RC were very important.

On another note, I really really hope that most Dental Schools Admissions staff are not just using formulas to determine prospective admittance. According to the 2008 ADEA Guide to Dental schools, for the class who just entered fall 07', for almost every school there are people getting in with low GPA's or low DAT scores. So obviously those folks wouldn't give the best result if plugged into those formulas, so obviously schools don't hold true to these formulas. Bottom line, the most driven students are going to do well in dental school.........haha you don't need a study to prove that. You could run studies for a century to try to correlate this with that.

19. crazy4clana

Pre-Dental
    Maybe she just saw a trend, I don't know. Besides, it's just a correlation, it's not like she found a law to defy gravity or anything.

20. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    Here is some advice: Learn to listen constructively and apply what you learn into further research to ultimately become wiser and spread your knowledge, instead of just believing everything you hear (that OC scores directly correlate to success in d-school), then posting outrageous statements (referring to your thread title, not your posts) that can throw a large number of pre-dents who view this, into a frenzy.

21. crazy4clana

Pre-Dental
    Throw pre-dents into a frenzy? A little melodramatic aren't we? I highly doubt pre-dents are going to jump off a bridge if this may or may not be true.

I'm not believing everything I hear, I choose to believe a dentist that I shadow/learn from who has been in the business for many years and has been a dental school professor. Did I say it was true? No, which is why there is a "?" in the title and proceeded to ask if anyone has heard of this. Oh, but that can't be it, she must be an impostor dentist whose sole purpose is to lie about how much she makes and make be study hard for organic chem! I've been pwned!

22. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    Read your third sentence. Then go back and read your second sentence, because you should be asking yourself that question.

First of all, asking if the OC section directly relates to success in Dental School, and as a Dentist, and backing it up with "hear-say" evidence is ridiculous. Just think about your question for a moment. Do you have any common-sense? There is a reason the DAT has multiple sections, and cleary OC is not the most important, although it is important.

Now, Doc Toothache was nice enough to post a real study that shows people have investigated the idea of correlating dental school performance to sections of the DAT. Once again, if you had any common-sense or intuition you would have been able to answer your own question.

Btw, if you knew that dentist told you OC was the most important section, just to get you to study harder for it, then why are you asking your question??

And yes, you have just been pwned;)

23. crazy4clana

Pre-Dental
    I guess you don't know what a hyperbole means? I was referring to yourself.

Oh I'm sorry for believing a successful dentist who used to teach at a dental school and thereby KNOWS how well students do. I'll start to believe some overzealous, paranoid pre-dent next time.

Btw, if you knew that dentist told you OC was the most important section, just to get you to study harder for it, then why are you asking your question??[/quote]

There's no need to insult my intelligence, it's tactless and immature. As I said before, but repeated many times, I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this or knew of some sort of correlation that exists. You seem to miss and ignore many of my points with your tirades.

Thankfully not by you.

Mods, please close this thread before some pre-dents start hyperventilating and have an anxiety attack (might be too late as seen by above poster). I already said that it's probably not true but you keep dishing out rude and unnecessary comments to make yourself feel better for some reason. Check out your last two posts and learn how to communicate effectively and politely, you seem like the type of person to spit in their patients mouth's when you disagree with them.

#21 crazy4clana, Jun 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  24. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    Haha, tirade? Look above ^. And you even went back to edit it. Wow, I was just trying offer some insight, but you took it to a whole new level. Just for your info, my breathing rate is normal and heart rate is healthy:D.