organic chem topics to be skipped

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foolins

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a safe bet that the only major reactions we are expected to know are in the AAMC published set of topics?

For instance, for the alkylation of amines...are we expected to understand the Gabriel Synthesis, even though it's not explicitly stated?

Also, for all that mesylate, tosylate, phosphate ester, nitrous acid reaction with amines....are we expected to know the mechanisms in detail...because that's sorta gross.

Members don't see this ad.

Foolins said:
Is it a safe bet that the only major reactions we are expected to know are in the AAMC published set of topics?

For instance, for the alkylation of amines...are we expected to understand the Gabriel Synthesis, even though it's not explicitly stated?

Also, for all that mesylate, tosylate, phosphate ester, nitrous acid reaction with amines....are we expected to know the mechanisms in detail...because that's sorta gross.

The MCAT will not test any topic not on the AAMC topic lest. That's why the list exists in the first place.

Maybe i should have been more specific...for example, it refers to the alkylation of amines.

This can happen directly, OR it can happen indirectly by the much more complicated Gabriel synthesis.

Also, it says we should know how to form mesylates and tosylates. Does that mean we should know the mechanism...or simply what reagents and reaction conditions to use?

I've been learning the mechanisms of a lot of the common sense reactions, but wondering if it's worth learning the funky mechanisms specific to peculiar reactions that represent one line in the AAMC topic list.

I'm a nerd, I never knew there was an AAMC MCAT topic list...where can I find that?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Foolins said:
Maybe i should have been more specific...for example, it refers to the alkylation of amines.

This can happen directly, OR it can happen indirectly by the much more complicated Gabriel synthesis.

Also, it says we should know how to form mesylates and tosylates. Does that mean we should know the mechanism...or simply what reagents and reaction conditions to use?

I've been learning the mechanisms of a lot of the common sense reactions, but wondering if it's worth learning the funky mechanisms specific to peculiar reactions that represent one line in the AAMC topic list.

I wouldn't stress out about those really specific details this late in the game. You need to decide what to focus your time on. In my opinion it wasn't worth it. If you have been doing well in the organic practice sections you should be ok. It might be a good idea to look over them so you could maybe recall it if needed, but I wouldn't kill myself studying over it.