Organic Chem-Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amy73

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I know that all of us have heard in the recent past that organic is not very important to score well in the BS section..I was wondering if anyone has a list of topics that one needs to know at an absolute minimum.. I am trying to prioritize and see which ones are more likely than the others to show up on the exam.. Also how much emphasis on orgo was seen by the april takers..

Help needed..
Bye
Amy

Members don't see this ad.

I am really not sure how to exactly answer this question but am gonna try anyway:

Important:
Isomers, Chirality, Configurations
SN1, SN2, E1, E2
Rxn. of alkenes: markovnikov and (b) anti markovnikov, additions (X2), (H-X), oxidation.
Alkynes: terminal hydrogen
Carbonyl Groups: chracteristics, rxns: aldol cond, beta-dicarbonyl groups,
carboxylic acids, acid halides, amides, esterification, nucleophilic addition, nucleophilic substitution.
Amines
Lab Activities - IR, H-NMR, distillation, chromatography

I think I missed a couple but my advice would be for you to get the EK orgo book, it's straightforward and relatively short (4 chapters, less than 100 pages). Hope this helped.

Thank you Rayhan.. i am using ek book.. but just wanted to know the topics to concentrate on.. are u taking august too?
Bye
Amy

Amy,
Using the EK is gonna save you a lot of time. As for the "most important" part, focus heavily on the isomer, mirror, chirality and stuff like that...always shows up. Also focus on carbonly groups and that they mainly undergo nucleophilic addition and nuc. subs. Also, chromatography usually has one or two questions related to it. And of course the mother of all orgo. the SN1, SN2, E1, E2 rxn, if you know what each of these do and look like you'll be able to answer most questions involving chmical reactions.

And I am taking the MCAT in August, I messed up on verbal the year before.