Organic Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not taking the MCAT's until next April but I was just sitting here thinking that I really can't remember anything from O Chem. Has anyone felt like this before their MCAT's and what did you do????

Members don't see this ad.

review your notes. and get some prep books. once you get into it again, its that hard to remember the concepts.

Your prep course's books will list all the rxns you need to know. If you're really worried, check out someone's old MCAT prep books and see if that stuff rings a bell. They also sell these books at Borders, etc. so you can see what you're in for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the exact same worry before I took my MCAT. The nice thing is that the Orgo you learn as an undergrad is a lot more detailed than what you need to know for the MCAT. Like others have said, get a review book - that will help you review the MAJOR reactions and mechanisms. If you did well in Orgo as an undergrad, you'll see how quickly the stuff will start to come back to you. Just make sure that when you study the review material, you know those concepts very well.

I took my MCAT after being out of college for 2 years and it was 4 years since I took orgo and I didn't remember a thing...

I used several different MCAT review books (Borders was great for that), then referred to my textbook if there were concepts that were way over my head. Of all the sections, I ended up scoring the best in bio. With enough determination, it's possible to re-teach yourself o-chem.

Good luck :)