organic chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prmdbeach17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!! I am new here so I hope this is in the right forum. I am a sophomore premed and recently finished OChem 1. I could not get into Ochem 2 for spring, so I was wondering what the next best time to take it would be to prepare for the MCAT's spring '08. It's not offered in fall. I was going to take it this summer but don't know how difficult that would be...or should I wait until next spring when I will also have genetics/micro and physics 2? I had online precalc last summer and had to teach it to myself so I don't mind summer classes though I also plan on doing some more shadowing and volunteering. And a whole year will have gone by before taking it next spring. I probably will have forgotten most of it, but then it will be right before the MCAT's so it will be fresh.
Some add info..though I got an A in Ochem1, I thought it was the most difficult class I will ever take...a nightmare really. I spent all my time devoted to it. I had physiology at the same time and thought that was so much easier. I am definitely a biology person....
Sorry if it is so long, just trying to weigh the pros/cons. Maybe if someone had organic in the summer you could let me know how that was also? Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

I also ran into the same thing at my school. I am planning on retaking my organic one class in the summer to try to pull up my grade (originally a C) and then more to Orgo 2 in the Fall (which I know isn't an option for you.

I would say if you can take the class in the Summer without having to work or having many other commitments. I am a nanny for a doctor and he said that is what he did and it was a great experience.

I also ran into the same thing at my school. I am planning on retaking my organic one class in the summer to try to pull up my grade (originally a C) and then more to Orgo 2 in the Fall (which I know isn't an option for you.

I would say if you can take the class in the Summer without having to work or having many other commitments. I am a nanny for a doctor and he said that is what he did and it was a great experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean you can't get in? You need to go to individual teachers and ask them to get in their class. You should be complaining to the Registrar and Dean that you can't get into an introductory class. I hope you did these things!

If you absolutely cannot take it this spring, I would recommend you take it in the summer. Sure, the classes are more condensed and it might go at a faster pace, but at the same time you will have less going on overall during the summer so you can concentrate on the course with your full attention. This is probably a better choice than taking it during a full semester alongside other challenging and time-consuming courses. And if you nail an A in both organics...that looks damn good. Good luck w/ everything.

Yes I tried and went to the dean of science, the admin, dept chair, and teacher of the class....he only had a few extra seats left and gave those spots to juniors. It is so hard to get into classes as a sophomore, this is why I couldn't get into genetics yet either....He's a horrible professor anyway and when I told him I was having trouble in ochem 1 he said join the club. He does not like bio majors.
But that's what I was thinking about summer, it would be easier with no other classes to concentrate on. Do you guys know if summer classes still cover as much?
Thanks for the input:)