Organic Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustymullet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i'm new to this site. I'm just finishing up my sophomore year as a bio undergrad. My current overall GPA is 3.63 and will probably be a 3.56 after this spring semester's grades come out. I am happy with it, but the thing that's bothering me is my organic 1 grade. I took my final yesterday and it basically destroyed my grade. I'm praying for a B but i think i got a C. Will the admissions committee look greatly down upon this if i do get a C? Is there anyone attending med school right now who got a C in orgo but still managed to get in? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys i'm new to this site. I'm just finishing up my sophomore year as a bio undergrad. My current overall GPA is 3.63 and will probably be a 3.56 after this spring semester's grades come out. I am happy with it, but the thing that's bothering me is my organic 1 grade. I took my final yesterday and it basically destroyed my grade. I'm praying for a B but i think i got a C. Will the admissions committee look greatly down upon this if i do get a C? Is there anyone attending med school right now who got a C in orgo but still managed to get in? Thanks for your input.

You're doomed. There is absolutely nobody on this forum who has received a C in organic who has gotten into medical school. In fact, organic grades are the only thing admissions committees look at because they know it's a tough class and if you can't get better than a C in organic, well then you're simply not fit for the medical school curriculum and you'll never make it as a doctor.

and if you take a sarcasm scrubber to Variablistic's reply and you'll see he meant to say...

Orgo is one of the most talked about classes on the forum. Do a quick search, the search button is near the right of the top forum tool bar. If you read some threads you'll find a lot of people had trouble in orgo, they have different ways of dealing with it, and of the people who got C's some or many got into a medical school. Many people also wern't able to get into med school. Find a way to deal with it that works for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
and if you take a sarcasm scrubber to Variablistic's reply and you'll see he meant to say...

Orgo is one of the most talked about classes on the forum. Do a quick search, the search button is near the right of the top forum tool bar. If you read some threads you'll find a lot of people had trouble in orgo, they have different ways of dealing with it, and of the people who got C's some or many got into a medical school. Many people also wern't able to get into med school. Find a way to deal with it that works for you.

Thanks for the feedback. I usually do really good in school but i study and study and i still get poor results in organic!:( I know people taking the class again after they dropped it previously. This is my first time taking it so maybe im too hard on myself. Maybe if i do good in orgo2 the commissions will see that and take that into account. I just know my science GPA will be tarnished...Again thanks for the positive relply:) Oh and variablistic ANYONE is fully capable of becoming a doctor so please don't judge someone like that!

lol, I got a B- and a C+ in Orgo I and II, and similarly horrible grades for Orgo lab (I think a C and a B- respectively), and not once has anybody ever asked about it during an interview.

They asked about my L on the MCAT (especially since I had a 14 verbal which the interviewer found quite amusing), my one W, etc, but nobody even asked about the orgo grades.

Of course there's a chance they will ask about it, especially if you have fantastic grades for everything else, but seriously it's not going to keep you out of medical school.

There's not even any actual organic chemistry in medical school so it'd be pretty silly lol.