Organic Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dasubline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I was wondering what's the best way to brush up on O-chem. I took it two years ago, and unfortunately I have forgotten everyything. Besides my class notes, whats good out there to help me. I know destroyer is mainly all problems...is Kaplan BB good, or "Organic Chem as a second language"?????

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't posted much here, and I haven't bought/used any products yet that I can comment on, but I've been reading MANY posts on this forum for the past few weeks and the main consensus I've gathered is that Kaplan blue book is a great overall brushup; Crack DAT PAT is a must for the PAT; Destroyer is invaluable for ochem and serves second duty for the other sciences, and Cliffs AP Bio is great.

The problems in DAT Destroyer have lengthy descriptions along with. So you're not just doing problems, you're strengthening your foundation and filling in blanks spots.

Hopefully I did the work of someone else by replying. Hopefully I'm not full of it.

Hey Guys, I was wondering what's the best way to brush up on O-chem. I took it two years ago, and unfortunately I have forgotten everyything. Besides my class notes, whats good out there to help me. I know destroyer is mainly all problems...is Kaplan BB good, or "Organic Chem as a second language"?????

practice questions with fully explanations would really help check out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260373501309&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

6000 questions 5000 fully explained $59, it says stylized but it not,

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic 2nd language is okay prob too much mechanisms though and you dont need that for the DAT. It may be helpful to brush up with it quickly but youll need to get to other resources more focused on the DAT

Yeh, I havent taken organic in over a year now, but I began first by reading through Kaplan BB and my college textbook and notes to get a strong foundation. Then I went to do practice problems in Destroyer and Achiever, the explanations are really clear. Good luck!

I'm becoming EXTREMELY annoyed with Ochem, its not to say that its hard, its that I started off with bio and gen chem and finished and I'm now on ch10 of my text book for ochem out of 25 long chapters, its taking wayyy too long and I remember a lot of people saying not to read my text book so I quit reading and started reading kaplan BB, reading the BB parts that I had done in my text were cool but now I've reached parts I hadn't read and its not that its hard but I feel I'm not absorbing anything, I've got such a strange feeling about ochem, it feels like its all just memorizing reactions, then I wonder if I should know full blown mechanisms, then I wonder about certain reactions that my text books show that BB doesn't, should I know them?

I believe all the mechanisms and more are all found in the destroyer roadmaps, that helps me out a lot because it has all the reactions I've seen in Kaplan BB and much more. If you get the chance, look through the roadmaps, and you'll be fine!!

The road maps are awesome in Destroyer but they aren't mechanisms they are syntheses and they are mostly everything you would see on the DAT.

The road maps are awesome in Destroyer but they aren't mechanisms they are syntheses and they are mostly everything you would see on the DAT.

Good to know, I just started on Ochem today as well after 3 years of forgetting it. I feel like I am moving at a snails pace.

Guys that are using destroyer, i'd def recommened reviewing some orgo content before going into the book, just to see where you stand. the problems are tricky, but dont get discouraged, learn ur mistakes and read thru the solutions. make sure to post any questions here ;)

If you are serious about orgo i would recommend ORGANIC CHEMISTRY ODYSSEY. It is by far the most superior tool for cracking the orgo section.
WARNING: this book is for serious students only.
If you commit to reading through all the problems and hand written solutions by Dr Romano i can almost guarantee you a 25 on the dat.
It was the number one reason that i got a A in both orgo 1 and 2.
Just one piece of advice: dont just read through the questions but make sure to carefully read all the hand written solutions.