Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Organic Chem

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by danny89, Aug 26, 2012.

1. danny89

danny89 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I didn't do quite so well in Orgo. I have about 5 months to study before the MCAT. What should I use for content(TPR or BR) and passages(TPR SW or BR)? Thanks :)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Temperature101

Temperature101 Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2011
    TBR is great for orgo since you have 5 months to study; otherwise, I would not suggest it because the books are dense.

OCDOCDOCD 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2012
    TBR is great for info. It's much more intense than other orgo prep books, but that also means that you won't be caught off-guard by any orgo problems the MCAT throws at you. If you feel like orgo is going to be a weakness, I'd definitely recommend TBR over anything else.

You'll also probably be happy to know that orgo makes up a very small portion of the MCAT these days. My exam had only one orgo passage on it, for example.
  5. premedgrad

premedgrad 5+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2012
    after reviewing content, definitely take the orgo self-assessment from AAMC. i thought it was pretty comprehensive and you'll know what you still need to study
  6. mushuwu158

mushuwu158 372,844 Pancakes 5+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2011
    I'd go with TPR. Aside from NMR and your substitution/elimination reactions, you won't need to know much else for O-Chem. TPR gives it all to you in a simple concise format, and doesn't unnecessarily over-complicate concepts.
  7. argama

argama 5+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2011
    yeah i really love TBR but TBR Orgo goes far too in depth for certain reactions. But their passages are really good, I do recommend doing their Orgo Lab Techniques, Structure Elucidation, and Carbonyls section at least. And part of the Nitrogens Compound (mainly the part about the Isoelectric Focusing, Amino Acids pKa & pI, Gel Electrophoresis, and proteins) Oh and Stereochemistry too.

Best of luck!
  8. danny89

danny89 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2012
    What's the best source of passages for orgo? TPRH SW or TBR? Good to hear some opinions out there.
  9. PocketJacks

PocketJacks 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2011
    I used TPR to study and completed the TBR passages without too much difficulty. I haven't done any Orgo passages in the TPR SW but I've done some PS passages and I find them a lot easier than the TBR passages. I'd suggest using TBR.