1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
  2. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Organic Chem

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by danny89, Aug 26, 2012.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. danny89

danny89 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I didn't do quite so well in Orgo. I have about 5 months to study before the MCAT. What should I use for content(TPR or BR) and passages(TPR SW or BR)? Thanks :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Temperature101

Temperature101 Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2011
    TBR is great for orgo since you have 5 months to study; otherwise, I would not suggest it because the books are dense.

4. OCDOCDOCD

OCDOCDOCD 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2012
    TBR is great for info. It's much more intense than other orgo prep books, but that also means that you won't be caught off-guard by any orgo problems the MCAT throws at you. If you feel like orgo is going to be a weakness, I'd definitely recommend TBR over anything else.

You'll also probably be happy to know that orgo makes up a very small portion of the MCAT these days. My exam had only one orgo passage on it, for example.

5. premedgrad

premedgrad 2+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2012
    after reviewing content, definitely take the orgo self-assessment from AAMC. i thought it was pretty comprehensive and you'll know what you still need to study

6. mushuwu158

mushuwu158 372,844 Pancakes 5+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2011
    I'd go with TPR. Aside from NMR and your substitution/elimination reactions, you won't need to know much else for O-Chem. TPR gives it all to you in a simple concise format, and doesn't unnecessarily over-complicate concepts.

7. argama

argama 5+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2011
    yeah i really love TBR but TBR Orgo goes far too in depth for certain reactions. But their passages are really good, I do recommend doing their Orgo Lab Techniques, Structure Elucidation, and Carbonyls section at least. And part of the Nitrogens Compound (mainly the part about the Isoelectric Focusing, Amino Acids pKa & pI, Gel Electrophoresis, and proteins) Oh and Stereochemistry too.

Best of luck!

8. danny89

danny89 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2012
    What's the best source of passages for orgo? TPRH SW or TBR? Good to hear some opinions out there.

9. PocketJacks

PocketJacks 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2011
    I used TPR to study and completed the TBR passages without too much difficulty. I haven't done any Orgo passages in the TPR SW but I've done some PS passages and I find them a lot easier than the TBR passages. I'd suggest using TBR.