Organic Chemistry 1 over summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dynamo24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether or not to take organic 1 this summer. Its a 10 week class with NO lab attached (my university saves lab for org 2). I'll be taking a 5 week upper level stats class the first 5 weeks then a 5 week research methods class on the back half. Just seeing if anyone else had any experience with organic over the summer or if this load is too much too fast. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took organic 1 during the summer. it was 5 weeks with lab as was basically 8a-4p everyday. It was brutal, but awesome. I loved it. Mainly because the condensed time required a test every week, meaning you couldn't really forget the stuff you learned.

Okay so the 10 weeks w/o lab + 2 classes seems pretty reasonable compared to that. That sounds brutal. In the fall I'll be paring org 2 w/ physics 1. That is where it may get a little hairy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking Orgo 1 w/ lab AND Orgo 2 w/ lab this summer. Six weeks each.

I have taken summer classes before and I do agree that the condensed timeframe forces you to keep up and continue learning, which is better in the end. I always tended to do better in summer classes and winter classes than during the semester. Let's hope that continues to be true because Orgo is the class that scares me the most!

I also took organic + lab over the summer (both I and II, 5 weeks of each) and I'm so glad I did it that way! It was essentially a full-time job, but totally manageable, as long as you keep at it and don't slack too much. Having a test every week forces you to stay on top of your mechanisms and it's hard to forget things you've done so recently. I would highly recommend taking orgo over the summer to anyone, honestly.

Since your Orgo I + lab is spread out over 10 weeks, adding a class each session sounds reasonable. Go for it!

All of our chem classes at my CC are ten week classes, which fits in a full semester of what is taught at UNL (same material, the chem depts meet to review the courses). I carry 2 classes on top of that. You'll be fine.

10 weeks isn't really that condensed. The fall semester is mid august-mid december + fall break + thanksgiving break = <14 weeks?

10 weeks isn't really that condensed. The fall semester is mid august-mid december + fall break + thanksgiving break = <14 weeks?

Yeah not too condensed at all, I just don't want to underestimate the class and end up being very overwhelmed.

Taking OChem 1 and 2 w/ Lab both. 5 weeks each. Still need OChem 3 (it's a quarter system)

Also taking Physics w/ Lab, if there's no time conflict. I'm not worried about Physics at all since I'm a math major as well. This is my last year in college and I'm just starting to take Chem... yoinks

Well here's my experience:
5 weeks Ochem 1 class with lab A+ both lecture and lab
5 weeks Ochem 2 class with lab A+ lecture and A in lab
What to expect:
-Go to class and read. I can't stress the importance of reading enough, even though the class are like 80% mechs understanding concepts will definitely help.
-stay up at least 2 nights every week studying. Try not to memorize the mechanisms, instead understand why it makes sense for a reaction to become x and not y
-Tests materials will not likely be watered down

Good luck for anyone attempting it.