Organic Chemistry and Physics over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScaryName

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How feasible is this? I've heard good things about the Physics instructor and I'll have somebody else's Orgo notebook to help. I'd be taking these classes at a 4-year university, just not the one I currently go to. I'd like sound advice, so nothing like 'don't do it'.

Would this look bad to adcoms? I'm not taking the classes at an easier college or anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the person. Is it possible? Yes. Is it possible for you? No one here can tell you that. You will have multiple labs during the week (unless you can separate lab sections and take them later). So factor in that time as well. Both courses will require substantial study time for the average student. But if you already have a strong background in one of the subjects and are willing to put in the time, it's not undoable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took both physics classes over one summer and then both organic chemistry classes the following summer. This was 11 years ago. You may get asked about different schools at an interview, but being asked about something isn't a bad thing as long as you've got an answer. Do whatever you want.

How feasible is this? I've heard good things about the Physics instructor and I'll have somebody else's Orgo notebook to help. I'd be taking these classes at a 4-year university, just not the one I currently go to. I'd like sound advice, so nothing like 'don't do it'.

Would this look bad to adcoms? I'm not taking the classes at an easier college or anything.
I took both orgo 1 and 2 during the summer. Trust me, if you want an A, you will spend every waking hours with your textbook. If you put in the work, you can do it. But my god...I dont remember anything fun from that summer lol

Reactions: 1 user
I had a friend take physics and calculus over the summer and she failed both. Since they're summer courses, you're expected to go to class everyday pretty much and that leaves you with barely any time to study and do hw. But if you time manage well maybe you can do it but I HIGHLY don't recommend it. One course is a lot already.

There isn't much sound advice to give. We don't know the difficult of the 4 year institution in which you plan on taking these pre-reqs. Taking the pre-reqs over summer isn't viewed favorably unless you must take them in that circumstance. However, all it comes down to is if you can handle it or not.

I had a friend take physics and calculus over the summer and she failed both. Since they're summer courses, you're expected to go to class everyday pretty much and that leaves you with barely any time to study and do hw. But if you time manage well maybe you can do it but I HIGHLY don't recommend it. One course is a lot already.
:eek:

I took orgo 1 over the summer due to scheduling issues so I could graduate on time.

It was fast paced, but orgo 1 didn't have a lab at my school, and since I didn't have any other classes to focus on I did well and was exempt from the final.

That being said, the professor recommended that I take orgo 2 (with the lab) in the regular semester. He said himself that having 2-3 lab classes per week is absolutely bonkers on top of full lectures every day. Especially considering that a lab report is due each lab and they usually take 4-8 hours to complete each. I wasn't even considering Orgo 2 in the summer, he actually offered this info to the class at the end of the summer session as a warning to avoid it if possible.

Orgo is not "reading someone else's notebook" it is pencil to paper and drawing the mechanisms so the synthesis problems that show up on exams is easier done in less steps. Orgo is also digging out the molecule set and putting stuff together to see the inversions, etc etc etc.

Orgo OR physics is doable - both? no. (A+ physics during summer and worked but it ... sucked everything out of me)

There isn't much sound advice to give. We don't know the difficult of the 4 year institution in which you plan on taking these pre-reqs. Taking the pre-reqs over summer isn't viewed favorably unless you must take them in that circumstance. However, all it comes down to is if you can handle it or not.

The university I go to and the one I'd be attending during the summer aren't very different. If anything the summer university has a higher rank. I'm going to prestudy Organic Chemistry and physics should be cake if it's anything like Calculus. I'm considering these summer classes, so I can graduate early.

I know that summer classes are seen as non-rigorous, but wouldn't my upper level classes make up for it, considering I have to take physical and bio chemistry?

Especially considering that a lab report is due each lab and they usually take 4-8 hours to complete each

What made the lab reports, so difficult to write? I'm pretty sure it just depends on the professor in regards to that.

Orgo OR physics is doable - both? no. (A+ physics during summer and worked but it ... sucked everything out of me)

I'd be taking algebra based physics. The professor is supposedly really good and it's "easier" than calc based physics, which is why I decided to add it.

Thanks

The university I go to and the one I'd be attending during the summer aren't very different. If anything the summer university has a higher rank. I'm going to prestudy Organic Chemistry and physics should be cake if it's anything like Calculus. I'm considering these summer classes, so I can graduate early.

I know that summer classes are seen as non-rigorous, but wouldn't my upper level classes make up for it, considering I have to take physical and bio chemistry?

What made the lab reports, so difficult to write? I'm pretty sure it just depends on the professor in regards to that.

I'd be taking algebra based physics. The professor is supposedly really good and it's "easier" than calc based physics, which is why I decided to add it.

Thanks

Reports weren't so much difficult as purely time consuming.

Habving to write out all the calculations, make the lists, write up procedures, draw mechanisms using chem-draw, reaction tables, answer questions, write up the discussion/Intro (my school is one of the best chem UNIs in the northeast, so we were required to cite actual published chemistry literature in our reports.

None of that was difficult per se, but it took time to find sources on Sci-finder and the ACS website. It took time to write it up.

If the lab was especially difficult (and there will be particularly hard labs) figuring out the mechanism and drawing it with all important ions and steps takes a long time.

Orgo reports aren't like Gchem where you can copy/paste the intro & procedure and just writeup the post-lab questions.

Also, your lab grade depends on your chemical yield. So you need to account for why you didn't have a perfect yield. Not necessarily a factor in the lab writeup, but something else you need to worry about. You really can't go autopilot in orgo lab.

Honestly orgo lab was more work than any of my other science classes including BCH.

Your school may differ.