Organic chemistry and Physics.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorfan99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's an inspirational thought to all potential dental school applicants... I got a C in Org Chem 1&2 and Physics 1&2 and I made it to dental school!

I took a bunch of other science classes to compensate..

There's always hope!!
:clap:

Gatorfan

P.S.- I applied at UF, Boston U. and Maryland. I got wait listed at UF and I got accepted at BU and Maryland.

Members don't see this ad.

what was your overall gpa and dat?

i bet you took calc based physics though, as far as organic, i find that amazing. yeah, what are your stats and what classes did you take to compensate. also why relative was on the adcom? uncle, cousin, father???

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a member of the "got a C in both semesters of organic and still got into dental school" club also. On top of that I got a 13 in ochem the first time I took the DAT. (17 the second time). Just don't give up.

I am the first person in my family to become involved in health care.

I studied my rear off for the DAT, I got a 21 AA, 18 PAT.

I took Physical chem, plus got A's and B's in Bio, Microbio, Biochem and thermo (I'm an engineering major).

Plus, I had good rec letters: from 2 dentists and 2 faculty and 1 from a former boss..

I guess what I am trying to say is that when you are taking classes like Org Chem it seems like THE WORLD IS ABOUT TO END " if I dont get at least B" and thats a bunch of B.S...

gatorfan

oh yeah,

overall gpa: 3.39
DAT: Bio 18, Inorg chem 20, Org chem 21 , total sci 19
QR 21, Reading comp 23, AA 21
PAT 18

ur overall is all that matters. a 3.4 and a 21 dat isnt to shabby

Congrats gatorfan. You did awesome on the OChem section of the DAT, especially considering your undergrad grades. No doubt in my mind you worked hard for it.

Heh, if you want to hear inspirational stories about O-Chem...

First semester of O-Chem: C-
Second semester of O-Chem: F
Retaking second semester of O-Chem: A-

I'm currently in dental school and ranked within the top 5 of my class of 78.

Top 5 in your class: inspirational. F in OChem: priceless!!!

you have money stats gatorfan, you must have gottne all A's though besides those bumps in ochem and physics. although a C should hardly be considered a bump, others just are better at other areas.

Midoc - how did the ochem grade figure then in the calculation of gpa then?? they just add the scores togeter and divide by 2??? So taking your 0 gpa points for the F and adding the A- gpa points (18-20 points assuming it was a 5 credit course) and dividing by two to give 9-10 gpa points which would be a C correct???

Originally posted by UMDeeMan
you have money stats gatorfan, you must have gottne all A's though besides those bumps in ochem and physics. although a C should hardly be considered a bump, others just are better at other areas.

Midoc - how did the ochem grade figure then in the calculation of gpa then?? they just add the scores togeter and divide by 2??? So taking your 0 gpa points for the F and adding the A- gpa points (18-20 points assuming it was a 5 credit course) and dividing by two to give 9-10 gpa points which would be a C correct???

I think that's what they do with the repeat. Sum the points and divide by the number of times you took it.

I don't know officially but I'm pretty certain they average the two grades.

I thought they just counted it like an additional course. So if you got an A and an F in a 5 unit course, you would average to a C, but it would count as 10 units...so it's more like you're getting 2 C's.