Organic Chemistry as a Second Language: Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StraightShooter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying it as I have roughly 10 days before organic starts and can probably just brush up on my resonance, hybridization, etc with this.

Is it worth buying? Do you think it will help that much?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering buying it as I have roughly 10 days before organic starts and can probably just brush up on my resonance, hybridization, etc with this.

I'd say it's worth it for the rules for drawing resonance structures alone. I don't think that you'll be able to find rules that are put forth in such an easy to understand manner anywhere else. (I didn't at least, and I've read the resonance chapters of three different Organic Chem textbooks.) The book is only about $10, if I remember correctly, so it won't really put a dent in your wallet either.

The book for the second semester is not nearly as helpful in my opinion.

EDIT: It looks like it is $25. I'd say that you should just get the first one. Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is pretty helpful, but just remember that it won't magically boost your grade. If you get an A with the book, you probably would have been able to get the A without the book too.

First semester book > second semester book. That said, I found BOTH books incredibly useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get Nuts and Bolts by Joel Karty instead.

I did not use it for either semester and I did better than my friends who used it. To each his own, but they said it helped them.

Such an amazing resource. At the cost they go for, there is almost no reason to not get one if you need some extra o chem help.

NO!
If you're taking Orgo at school like Georgetown or Columbia the book does not go nearly into enough detail to help you.

It doesn't go into much detail, but definitely helps in clearing some concepts. I personally stopped using it after the first test and did fine, but as someone mentioned, it varies person to person.

Infinitely useful. Unless of course your course is using David Klein's actual textbook, in which case, the help book is essentially just a shortened form.

Does anyone know if the 3rd edition is anymore helpful than the 2nd?

I'm also looking to buy this book, and I just noticed that the 2nd edition is half the price.

I am in week five of my organic chemistry course. Organic Chemistry as a Second Language allows me to work one week ahead of the course. It's a great resource that I would highly recommend. My professor loved it so much that he made it a recommended purchase for the course. I scored a 99.0/100 on my first exam! I would say this book was largely the reason why I did so well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't personally like it, but to each their own. Our textbook had more than enough detail and examples, so I ended up never really using the 2nd language book. Others loved it though.

I just got Orgo as a 2nd language, did you guys start reading the book at the very beginning and do the practice problems or just use this more as a reference guide and practice as you go along?

I went through the book before I started the class. It helped a ton. You'll still need your textbook, but you will already have a nice foundation, so the reading will stick easier.

Apparently I've committed a sin according to an amazon reviewer of this book.:( However, I've heard many of my students who I tutor recommend this book amongst each other, and their performance seems rather satisfactory for some and stellar for others. I suppose it might be noteworthy to purchase this book for review. Definitely do build a rock-solid foundation in ochem I. Practice!

Infinitely useful. Unless of course your course is using David Klein's actual textbook, in which case, the help book is essentially just a shortened form.

Can any corroborate this further?

Personally, I bought the books after reading about everyone's recommendations on these forums... But I never really used them and didn't find them to be of that much help besides maybe 1 or 2 minor things I needed clarification on. Plus my class didn't cover half the stuff in the second book anyway, and my class went over reactions that neither books covered.

I'd say get it. For the price it really can't hurt to have it as a resource. Unfortunately for me my ochem prof was the worst prof I've ever had and he had us memorize pointless details instead of emphasizing true understanding so I'm lucky I had Second Language to get a better grasp of the material for the MCAT.

I just got Orgo as a 2nd language, did you guys start reading the book at the very beginning and do the practice problems or just use this more as a reference guide and practice as you go along?

use it as a reference. although i never used it, because my profs taught well and my textbook was awesome

i don't even know why people ask this question any more lol.. the overwhelming majority says that it's certainly worth it and it's not even that expensive. Just do it.

@TheFool: I actually gave the first couple chapters a quick read before my ochem class even started, but that's probably not necessary. Whenever you begin a new chapter/concept in your class, just make sure to see if there's a relevant section in the 'second language' book and it will most likely be pretty helpful. It ended up being extremely helpful for my first midterm when I ended up cramming all the information a couple days before the exam.

i don't even know why people ask this question any more lol.. the overwhelming majority says that it's certainly worth it and it's not even that expensive. Just do it.

@TheFool: I actually gave the first couple chapters a quick read before my ochem class even started, but that's probably not necessary. Whenever you begin a new chapter/concept in your class, just make sure to see if there's a relevant section in the 'second language' book and it will most likely be pretty helpful. It ended up being extremely helpful for my first midterm when I ended up cramming all the information a couple days before the exam.
Through my observations, often times certain people ask this question in the conceited hopes that this revered book will serve as a complete/nearly-complete replacement for the assigned text/readings and possibly even lecture itself. It is sure less heavier, less expensive, and more compact than an actual ochem textbook; that I'll agree on.