Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Organic Chemistry credit hours

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bihari, Dec 6, 2008.

1. bihari

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am a little confused on how this works....most, if not, all medical schools require 1 year of organic chemistry with lab. now here is the issue:

being a non-biology/chemistry/typical pre medical student, i don't have very much room in my remaining semesters to fit classes, so i will have to take a few during the summer at a local school...so far the only ones i need to take in this form are organic chemistry...but the thing is...the course transfers to my school in a weird way:

local school:
    organic chemistry 1 with lab
    organic chemistry 2 with lab

transfers to my school as
    organic chemistry 1 with lab

but transfers to virtually every other school as orgo 1 & 2 with lab

so what will a medical school interpret when they see my courses, will they think i only took one semester of organic chemistry even though i took two?

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how it transfers to your school is irrelevant. as long as it meets the required number of semester hours (i think it's 8 minimum), you're fine.

4. Tippyboat

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is this local school a university or a community college?

5. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This shouldn't matter. Its ideal to get credits at a 4-year institution but some people must get them at a CC to get them at all.

If the official transcript from the local school cites 3 hours for each lecture and 1 hour for each lab or combines them into 4 hours a piece everything will be fine. The official transcript from the local institution will be sent to AMCAS in addition to the larger transcript to verify grades. Take the courses and don't worry.

6. bihari

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    community college

7. suwaifo

Pre-Medical
    This shouldn't be the case. The credit hours you take are always going to be those credit hours.

8. bihari

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks everyone!

what a relief! haha

9. suwaifo

Pre-Medical
    Transferring sucks, I tell ya. In my CC, our calculus I, II, and III classes are 4, 5, and 4 semester units respectively. Most UCs, however, are on quarter system and have 4 unit quarter classes for each calculus class. That's 19.5 quarter units versus 12.

10. bihari

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yea i had a transfer issue as well...at the university i am attending, there are two differential equation courses at the 200 level (there are 400 level ones as well)...of the two, one is a 3 credit hour diff eq, and the other is a 4 credit hour diff eq with a little linear algebra thrown in....and i got credit for the 3...which would be ok, except that electrical engineering wants the 4 cred one... (other engineers take the 3 credit hour one)...so i have to take a supplement class to make up that one hour...which sucks bec i am kinda tired of math...