1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Organic Chemistry Exam

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dentalmagnet, Dec 3, 2008.

1. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

I just wanted to ask since we all have the same kind of undergrad classes. I have to take my Organic ACS exam in a wk. I was wondering if anyone that took this exam studied from the manual (acs.org or bookstore) and found that the questions were exactly the same, almost the same, or a few different ones? I just want to know how difficult this exam was compaed to the ACS study guide. I'm hoping it's nearly identical haha.. There are a few things in this study guide that we haven't covered in class, like tollen's test, regioselectivity, and a few more concepts.
    Was there anything that surprised you? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    ACS organic test ~ ACS study guide :D

4. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

so same thing, no tricks..just a few carbons diff. How did you do? How much did you study?

5. Navy doc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I study of the ACS book ,and the questions don't get any harder. I manage to score in the 89 percentile with 2 nights of cramming. Good luck!:thumbup:

6. abr

abr
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you have understood the class material thus far, you should be fine. The ACS Study Guide was REALLY helpful. I spent about 2 or 3 nights studying it, understood the concepts, and scored somewhere between the 90th an 95th percentile nationally. Good luck!

7. FutureDocBerg

FutureDocBerg I got in... Foooo show
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I took the acs exam. I studied it... or about 1/2 of it and scored a 68/70. 99.7%ile.

Its a good book, and its what i used to study for the DAT... 22 orgo

8. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Thank you guys so much. Wow you did awesome. How did you do on the orgo for DAT? I did one practice test for kaplan (no studying yet) and got an 18 in orgo. I was pretty sad because I thought orgo was my best subject. I'm going to smash this ACS book and then retake a practice orgo portion with a different Kaplan source. These questions are easy..but they require you to really understand the basics. That is always my trouble..I can do a really complication retrosynthesis problem. But I will mess up on a simple E2 because I didn't know the differnece between Zaitsef and Hoffman products. I really want to have a "higher" understanding of the material by the end of this exam..I'm almost there lol..

9. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Thank you for sharing your scores. You did awesome on both. I'm really excited that I am taking this exam because I didn't take it for Gen chem.

10. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I like ACS finals. Gives me a reason not to study. ACS finals are easy, if u can do the problems in their practice book u can def. ace the final :) gluck.

11. Spriggy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  12. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

acs.org sells them..they take about a wk to come to your house and they are 20 bucks or something like that.

The reason I didn't buy mine through half or amazon was because they sell them for twice as much lol. The lowest prices on there are like 40 and the book is only worth 20 (brand new) from ACS.org. Yeah that's the right book though..don't buy those!!

13. Spriggy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Do you have a link to them on acs.org?
    I can't find it anyway...I must suck at the internet today. :laugh:

14. dRdNs

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i thought the ochem acs final was hard as hell. i only scored in the 40th percentile compared to 80th percentile for gchem. but i took ochem over the summer and didnt really learn anything so that could have been the problem...

15. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
  16. Spriggy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks man!
    I appreciate it! :horns::cool:

17. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Like I mentioned before, the first time I took a Kaplan DAT test, I got an 18 in orgo. Has anyone on here that did really well in orgo start with an 18 on a practice and improve it drastically? Or am I stuck somewhere around my 18? Just looking for some inspiration I guess.

18. rdhdds1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Do you feel that the acs book should be used as a supplement to the DAT when studying orgo? Does it clarify concepts and help to reinforce the basics?

The reason I ask is I am unfamiliar with this book and we were not required to take the ACS final for ochem.

19. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Haven't taken the DAT..just that one Kaplan practice exam..but it's VERY similar to that one. I mean there was a reagent (HIO4) that I had never heard of and it was on that practice exam and in my ACS book. The ACS book is very simple ..but you have to know that basics.

20. abr

abr
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Can't help you there, sorry.. I haven't taken the DAT, yet, but I do plan on studying for the 4-5 weeks after my finals (during winter break), and I plan to take it in February.. I really need to refresh my knowledge of everything... It is scary how soon you can forget things! I am worried just thinking about taking the DAT! :scared:
    I am sure if you work some problems and such you will be able to improve your score, especially since you haven't put a lot of time into studying, yet. Good luck!

21. FutureDocBerg

FutureDocBerg I got in... Foooo show
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The questions are much harder than would be asked on the DAT IMO. And they are very tricky. The guide provides several questions with indepth responses with why one is the answer and why the others are incorrect. Very similar to DAT questions. Also, after each section of each, there is a practice section. It would not be wise to study this only for the DAT, as it is challenging, and you would get frustrated if you didnt know your concepts. However, if you went through it after you studied you entire Orgo book, you would be a great indicator of you would be prepared.

UB 2013!