Organic Chemistry Final Exam.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alanine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So within the next two weeks, final exams will start at my school.
I had organic chemistry this year, and I get the amazing opportunity to top off a wonderful year of awesome organic with a comprehensive (of the whole year), national ACS final exam.
Have any of you had this?
What were your thoughts?
How did you do? and how did you study?

Thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

The ACS isn't too bad. Much easier than having a final from your teacher. Get the ACS Study guide and do the practice problems.

The OChem ACS was a beast. More beastly than ACS exams for Biochemistry and Analytical Chemistry IMO.

OChem = 80th percentile

Compared to...Analytical Chem and Biochemistry = 90th percentile

I just studied my notes and old tests (from first and second semesters). Try your best though. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i second the study guide, it gives you a good view of what they expect you to know...if i'm not mistaken I think they compile a practice test booklet also.

Yeah I took that exam as well....not going to lie, it was a CHALLENGE, 80% of our class failed it! I am now low key pissed though because I didn't know there was a source to help you prepare for it, then again, my class wasn't even aware we were taking it the day of the final...our prof was a pure breed SOB!

Nonetheless OP...GOOD LUCK!

I have to take it in two weeks too!!! I forgot everything from ochem 1, despite ending with a 99.99% average.

So does it piss anyone off that I don't have to take my OCHEM final because it's only worth 10% of our grade? If I take a 0, I still get a 90% in the class...work smart, not hard!

The ACS isn't too bad. Much easier than having a final from your teacher. Get the ACS Study guide and do the practice problems.

Yeah i just got my ACS study guide in the mail.
After all my exams are done this week, ill have about a week and a half to study for my finals…i just hope i can cram everything in and do well.

Yeah i just got my ACS study guide in the mail.
After all my exams are done this week, ill have about a week and a half to study for my finals…i just hope i can cram everything in and do well.

That ACS study guide will be good for the DAT as well so hang on to it

i need help!
if anyone has the ACS organic chemistry study guide book, look at the section on stereoisomerism #23…i thought that something could only be chiral if it's sp3 hybridized. i had D chosen, but the right answer is C even though it's sp.
any clue why?

Not bad at all. Buy the ACS study guide and go through it thoroughly. I ended up in the 98 percentile range. I took the DAT a month later and was in the 94 percentile range without studying except the couple days before. If you have kept up in the class you should be fine.

i need help!
if anyone has the ACS organic chemistry study guide book, look at the section on stereoisomerism #23…i thought that something could only be chiral if it's sp3 hybridized. i had D chosen, but the right answer is C even though it's sp.
any clue why?

I don't have the book with me, but I do know what you are probably talking about...
If you build the molecule, you will see that two double bonds back to back can have a chiral center. The substituents have to be different. It's because the bonds are orthogonal to each other.

The molecule below is probably the one you're talking about. The molecule below has all H's...so it's not going to be chiral. But other allenes that have varying substituents can have chirality.

Don't think of the bonds like 180 degrees because they are not to each other. They are orthogonal...meaning 90 degrees to each other or perpendicular.

Allene.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allene

Is that what you are talking about?

Oh yea, ACS ochem is an excellent resource for the DAT.

yes, the one that im looking at has a Cl group and a methyl group.
thanks…that really helped. I just panicked a little bit since i really don't think we covered this in class at all.

I don't have the book with me, but I do know what you are probably talking about...
If you build the molecule, you will see that two double bonds back to back can have a chiral center. The substituents have to be different. It's because the bonds are orthogonal to each other.

The molecule below is probably the one you're talking about. The molecule below has all H's...so it's not going to be chiral. But other allenes that have varying substituents can have chirality.

Don't think of the bonds like 180 degrees because they are not to each other. They are orthogonal...meaning 90 degrees to each other or perpendicular.

Allene.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allene

Is that what you are talking about?

I've got my final in 2 weeks too! Then, done with Organic II!! Woohooooo. Plus, am studying for the DAT at the same time.

Seriously, the best thing you could do is get the ACS study guide with all the practice problems... i swear there were several questions where the numbers or reagents were just slightly changed... When I took it, if we got a 90 or higher, we automatically got an A in the class despite what our grade was... I ended up with a 89, rofl.... still got an A though.

ahhh…you're lucky!
mine is at the beginning of next week and ive had a bunch of other exams so i haven't really been able to focus on this.
but im going through the acs book one section at a time, and im trying to understand it all. hopefully it'll work out. =/

Seriously, the best thing you could do is get the ACS study guide with all the practice problems... i swear there were several questions where the numbers or reagents were just slightly changed... When I took it, if we got a 90 or higher, we automatically got an A in the class despite what our grade was... I ended up with a 89, rofl.... still got an A though.

It seems like you'll be fine. If you are short on time, studying the ACS guide is the best thing you can do. I remember that this is what my organic professor told me. She said that every organic professor writes rxns differently, using slightly different reagents than other organic professors to result in the same outcome. studying the ACS guide will get you in the zone to see exactly what their reagents, products, etc look like.

yeah I took ACS Ochem yesterday and just got the result from my professor. 98 percentile... not bad I guess

Thought it was little more difficult than DAT o-chem section. I've got 26 on DAT OC, but yeah DAT only has 30 questions.

Anyway, just study the studyguide. My ochem professor had like 1100 practice problems on her course website, but didn't really help. That white prep book prepares you better than anything else out there.