Organic chemistry for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnwickk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
So i write my DAT this summer and will start preparing for it this winter break. The problem is i took organic chem about 5-6 years ago and don't really have the basic fundamentals. My question is what is the best source of organic chem you guys can recommend for me to achieve a +20. I know chad is well known but i have a feeling that even if i know everything off of chads videos i still wouldn't feel confident during test day. Should i review mikes videos as well on the dat bootcamp website?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would say watch mike's videos. When I studied for the DAT, Mike's helped me a lot and I was able to score relatively high on this section. I didn't use CHADs so I cant give you an answer on that part.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say watch mike's videos. When I studied for the DAT, Mike's helped me a lot and I was able to score relatively high on this section. I didn't use CHADs so I cant give you an answer on that part.
Did you recently take orgo before taking the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Chad’s, Destroyer, Organic Chemistry as a Second Language

Reactions: 1 user
I hadn’t taken Orgo for six years and I used Chad’s Videos (Coursesaver I believe), and Bootcamp (Mike’s videos + practice exams).

Use bootcamp and destroyer! I did each bootcamp subsection of orgo 10 times to make sure I understood everything. I got a 24 on orgo. Goodluck!

Chad's are good but I think Mikes are better. I used both but Mike's helped a ton.
I would say stay away from destroyer, it's overkill and it's better spent using your time to study the test, not ridiculously hard problems that will never find their way on the exam. Remember at the end of the day its 30 minutes to test your knowledge in a years worth (along with lab work) of content, they cannot ask questions that take more than 90 seconds at most of critical thinking.

I just took the DAT a couple days ago and scored a 19. I felt pretty confident and I used Bootcamp, but didnt watch the videos - mostly just took the questions and really went over anything that I got wrong. Also I would recommend buying the orgo section of datQvault. I thought that bootcamp and Qvault worked really really well in tandem with each other. Qvault only 50 bucks alone for orgo section. Well worth it. Really knocked in the fundamentals which I saw more of on the DAT than some of the extensive multi-step reactions that Bootcamp always gives.

Bio: 21 ; Gen Chem : 20 ; Orgo : 19 TS: 20

I took ochem right before the DAT, so can’t be much help, but I think mikes videos paired with khan academy and ochem as a second language would be more than sufficient

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Bootcamp destroyer and chads were enough for me to get a 27 on ochem.

I took Ochem about 11 or so years ago. I used Chad's and Mike's videos and quizzes along with bootcamp and Destroyer. It was enough to score a 24 this summer.

I found Mike's videos a huge help because learning the general mechanism helped me predict products. However, I met some dentists who were able to use brute memorization to score a 29 after just a few weeks of studying.

Do what works for you and use every resource you can get your hands on!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all
So i write my DAT this summer and will start preparing for it this winter break. The problem is i took organic chem about 5-6 years ago and don't really have the basic fundamentals. My question is what is the best source of organic chem you guys can recommend for me to achieve a +20. I know chad is well known but i have a feeling that even if i know everything off of chads videos i still wouldn't feel confident during test day. Should i review mikes videos as well on the dat bootcamp website?
Thank you

Check your textbook and the internet resources that accompany the textbook. For example, one textbook I picked up had a whole section at the end of each chapter dedicated to preparing for standardized exams. The website for the textbook will have lots of resources...be sure to investigate those.

reading a textbook would probably be your best bet. a lot of the videos already assume you've taken the classes and have somewhat of a foundation. the guy who wrote the second language books (klein) will probably be a good idea bc i'm sure if he writes the textbooks the way he wrote second language, it'll be very easy to understand what's happening