Organic Chemistry HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willis7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been studying the organic chemistry portion of the test and have found it quite difficult. I wanted to know how ppl generally studied for the reactions, did you just memorize them (which I don’t find very practical) or is it that you don’t have to memorize the reactions. With all the practice questions I have encountered with organic, I have found that they expect you to know the reactions by heart. Just wanted to know some organic chem strategies. Thank you very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The reactions are all about functional groups or other distinct moieties of the compound. Ketone/Aldehydes react similarly, carbox acid derivatives similarly (esters, etc). Know the mechanisms, and just do 100s of reactions.. good luck

I'd study the main reactions...like SN1, SN2, E1, and E2. Also reactions synthesizing alcohols/carboxylic acids/esters are popular. And make sure you know how to name compounds, they always have a question or two on what is the name of the following compound.

good advice but I don't think you'll see E1 or E2 on the new MCAT since on older exams, those are mechanisms associated with alkene chemistry which is specifically not required knowledge for the new test.

for org chem: understanding mechanisms trumps memorization everytime.

just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
From people taking recent exams, alkenes HAVE been on the exam.

Mostly study NMR/IR/MS methods of analysis along with chromotagraphy. This will be the most useful, then study mechanisms and main reactions.

The Organic on my MCAT (August) was minimal. However, it was given more in a Biochemistry like passage. I would say understanding is more important than memorizing in Organic. Also, know your basic functional groups and don't get tripped up when the passage shows you a huge complex molecule. It is there to intimidate you, look for the simplicity in it!