Organic Chemistry I and II Grades: Those who got accepted read here..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJ4eva14786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All those who got accepted, please post your organic chemistry I and II (lab and lecture) grades...

I would like to get a feel of what range of applicants pharmacies like to accept..

Also please post the College of Pharmacy that you are attending/or going to attend..

Im in the process of applying for Fall of 2009..

Organic Chemistry I Lecture: C- <--:scared::oops::(
Organic Chemistry I Lab: B+

Organic Chemistry II Lecture: B+
Organic Chemistry II Lab: B+

Members don't see this ad.

I'd retake the lecture if you have the time regardless of the stats posted here. Though Organic Chemistry is a key course with a key grade in your application, it's difficult to get what you want out of a range. People who are on the lower end of the grade range may have compensated with good grades elsewhere.;)

I'd retake the lecture if you have the time regardless of the stats posted here. Though Organic Chemistry is a key course with a key grade in your application, it's difficult to get what you want out of a range. People who are on the lower end of the grade range may have compensated with good grades elsewhere.;)

Hm yeah. Though i don't have time to take it again since I am pursuing a B.S. in Chemistry and Biology (If so, it will have been 3 years to attain it if I complete in May 2009-Summer 2009).

I am thinking that if I get a area on a supplemental application to describe a discrepancy on a grade that it will be perfectly valid here as the teacher in organic chemistry I was vague, too fast, unorganized, and I was driving 25-30 mins just to take her (since I was scared by the teachers on the main campus that was just 5 minutes away :(. Apparently the teacher who I was scared of taking I ended up having in Organic Chemistry II and as you see, I had a higher grade. Bad move for Organic Chemistry I on my part. Perhaps the Pharmacy schools will look at those two grades and be a bit lenient on me? I don't know. Thats a dream though if they do...

I have a 3.179 Science GPA and a 3.871 Math GPA.

I had B's in biology I and II
A- and B+ in Gen. Chem. I and II
C-, B+ in Org. Chem I and II
A,A- in Physics I and II.

A in Calculus
A- in Prob/Stats

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic Chemistry 1 -A
Organic Chemistry 1 lab - B

Organic Chemistry 2 - A
Organic Chemistry 2 lab A-

Accepted to- TSU COP, Texas A&M Health Science Center ILR COP, Wait listed - UH COP:D

Since we're talking about o-chem, I am debating whether to re-take O-chem.
Quarter 1 of O-chem lecture: A
Quarter 1 of O-chem lab: A

Quarter 2 of O-chem lecture: A-
Quarter 2 of O-Chem lab: A

Quarter 3 of O-chem lecture: C+ (I don't know what happened here - I think I was sick or just having a crappy day)
Quarter 3 of O-chem lab: A

Advanced O-Chem: B+
And I also did organic synthesis research where I made drugs for 3 months with a pharm company and the research will be published.

Does anyone recommend that I re-take O-chem? I think I should.

Since we're talking about o-chem, I am debating whether to re-take O-chem.
Quarter 1 of O-chem lecture: A
Quarter 1 of O-chem lab: A

Quarter 2 of O-chem lecture: A-
Quarter 2 of O-Chem lab: A

Quarter 3 of O-chem lecture: C+ (I don't know what happened here - I think I was sick or just having a crappy day)
Quarter 3 of O-chem lab: A

Advanced O-Chem: B+
And I also did organic synthesis research where I made drugs for 3 months with a pharm company and the research will be published.

Does anyone recommend that I re-take O-chem? I think I should.

Are you out of your mind? Why would you want to retake a course you've clearly developed an understanding in? Just look at your grades...you have all A's your first two quarters of ochem, one A in third quarter in the lab, and a solid B plus in advanced organic chemistry. Come on now... one insignificant C plus in lecture for the second quarter of ochem is not going to kill you. You did more than enough in establishing your competence simply by taking a course that is both more advanced than introductory ochem and is not even REQUIRED for pharmacy school. You're fine.

Organic Chemistry 1 lecture: A
Organic Chem 1 lab: A

Organic Chem 2 lecture: A
Organic Chem 2 lab: A

I will be attending Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy this August.

Organic Chemistry 1 lecture: A
Organic Chem 1 lab: A

Organic Chem 2 lecture: A
Organic Chem 2 lab: A

I will be attending Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy this August.

nicee, i aced my way through ochem as well. i like it =]

i will be applying next year, right now i have ZERO EC's, experience, etc. under my belt. i need to get on it

4xA, UIC. Understand that you're going to have a lot of people posting higher grades. Don't be discouraged by it, though, because those on SDN, and more specifically those who choose to reply to your topic, are not representative of the entire entire applicant pool. As ominone said, you can compensate in another area and still have a good chance.

Organic I: B
Organic II: A
Lab: A

Ochem 1: A
Ochem 1lab: A

Ochem 2: B
Ochem 2lab: A

Those who have C's and are wondering whether its worth retaking? It really is up to you. If you have nothing else to improve upon "gradewise" and you have the time, I'd retake the class. While those who have insanely good grades may not be a true representation of the majority of the applicants out there, they aren't the ones you need to worry about. The applicants that you need to worry about are the ones with similar overall stats that you have, and that are retaking those C's so they can become more "competitive" than you are (and they represent the majority of applicants out there that DO get accepted).

To the OP: you might have to retake that chem class, because many schools won't accept a C-. Definitely call the school to verify if they do accept that grade.

Last edited:
Orgo I (1st attempt) - dropped
Orgo I (2nd attempt) - B
Orgo I (3rd attempt) - B :(
Orgo I Lab - C

Orgo II - C
Orgo II Lab - not required

So don't lose hope b/c I SUCK at O-chem but was still accepted to pharmacy school.

Org I: Lect - A, Lab A
OrgII: Lect - A, Lab A

I absolutely loved Organic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Org I: Lect - A, Lab A
OrgII: Lect - A, Lab A

I absolutely loved Organic.

I have a passion for organic. It's a shame pharmacy schools don't really use too much organic chemistry or if they do, it's not used in the same manner as in undergrad (i.e. what is the product of the reaction between cyclopentanol and PCC? or synthesize this molecule from this...) At least I've heard numerous times not much ochem is used. I wish ochem was taught in high school because to be honest, the 2 semesters of this material went by so fast. Gen chem appeared to take forever to complete because you usually see a year of it in high school and then one year in college. Oh well; it's good to see others love carbon as much as I do. :)

Organic I: B
Org I Lab: A

Organic II: C
Org II Lab: A

I'm attending the University of Texas in the fall and I also got accepted to A&M Kingsville.

Ochem I: B
Ochem I lab: A
Ochem II: A
Ochem II lab: A

Organic Chem I : B
Organic Chem I lab: B

Organic Chem II: C
Organic Chem II lab: B

Got accepted to all three schools that I applied.

Ochem 1 : A
Ochem lab 1 : A

Ochem 2 : A
Ochem lab 2: A

I'll be attending UT Austin in the Fall, also accepted to Texas A&M, waitlisted on Texas Tech, and denied by UH (?!):scared:

Ochem 1: C+
Ochem lab1: B+

Ochem 2:C+
Ochem lab2: B+

Retook Ochem 1: B+
Retook Ochem 2: B

I do, however have A's in the following chem classes and the labs that go with the lecture:

Gen Chem 1 and 2,
Biochem 1 and 2, Quantitative Analysis, and Physical chemistry.

Accepted Creighton Web-based Class of 2012.

organic I and II with integrated lab A;A

accepted USN this fall

Ochem I: C
Ochem I lab: B+

Ochem II: B+
Ochem II lab: A-

Ochem III: B
Ochem III lab: B+

Interviewed: UCSF (rejected), UOP and Touro
Accepted: Touro
Waitlisted: UOP (top portion)

Organic I: C
Organic I Lab: B

Organic II: B
Organic II Lab: A

I will be attending University of Florida Jacksonville in August. That was my first and only C and really scared me, but it all worked out.

Ochem 1 : A
Ochem 1 lab: B+
Ochem 2 : A
Ochem 2 lab: A
advanced organic(not required, but interesting): A

Ochem 1 w/lab: A

Ochem 2: A
Ochem 2 lab: A

Ochem I (Lecture/Lab combined) B
Ochem II: B

For the OP, double check with the schools you are applying to. To my knowledge most require a C or better and a C- is usually considered less than a C for those purposes. This means you may have no choice but to retake.

Organic Chemistry 1: A

Organic Chemistry 2: A

I will be attending Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (Long Island University) this September.

I have a passion for organic. It's a shame pharmacy schools don't really use too much organic chemistry or if they do, it's not used in the same manner as in undergrad (i.e. what is the product of the reaction between cyclopentanol and PCC? or synthesize this molecule from this...) At least I've heard numerous times not much ochem is used. I wish ochem was taught in high school because to be honest, the 2 semesters of this material went by so fast. Gen chem appeared to take forever to complete because you usually see a year of it in high school and then one year in college. Oh well; it's good to see others love carbon as much as I do. :)

Ummm yeah, I had orgo during high school. I had no interest and teacher was awfull....

Ummm yeah, I had orgo during high school. I had no interest and teacher was awfull....

Hmmm, I remember ochem during Russian HS. That's the last thing I thought about back then. The good thing is whenever someone mentions ochem now I get to say, I took it during HS. :luck:

Hmmm, I remember ochem during Russian HS. That's the last thing I thought about back then. The good thing is whenever someone mentions ochem now I get to say, I took it during HS. :luck:

The fact that you are required to take subjects such as organic chemistry in high school in Russia is fascinating. I wish that could be the case here. Unfortunately, the already quite high high school dropout rate in this country would probably skyrocket even more if ochem were made a requirement. Oh well. Americans are not that bright in mathematics and science. We have the lowest degrees of proficiency/competency and understanding of math and science in this country compared to the Chinese, Japanese, Indians, and Russians. All of those countries produce some of the finest engineers and scientists. The educational climate in the US is in dire need of change if we want to see upward trends in technology, mathematical knowledge, and an overall boost to the economy. And this change begins with competence in math and science.

Are you required to take ochem in high school or is it an elective? I also think it is pretty interesting that you can take it in high school. I certainly wouldn't have been able to grasp it in high school though for lack of interest in the chemistry back then. I was pretty dumb when I was 16 :p

Are you required to take ochem in high school or is it an elective? I also think it is pretty interesting that you can take it in high school. I certainly wouldn't have been able to grasp it in high school though for lack of interest in the chemistry back then. I was pretty dumb when I was 16 :p[/quotAhhh, well I was honestly sleeping or preparing for entrance exams for my uni back then during most of the classes...

Last edited:
Are you required to take ochem in high school or is it an elective? I also think it is pretty interesting that you can take it in high school. I certainly wouldn't have been able to grasp it in high school though for lack of interest in the chemistry back then. I was pretty dumb when I was 16 :p

I hated chemistry in high school, so I'm not sure how I would have done with HS ochem either. I think I was pretty dumb back then, too.

Hey Cheb did you have electives in school?

Hey Cheb did you have electives in school?

The entire curriculum was set in stone except for one class - you could either chose between home ed - cooking, sewing, and blah,blah. Or you can do the wood workshop/ work on cars with the guys. Me being me of course picked the wood workshop. All my friends have learned how to sew and bake, and I'm neither a mechanic nor a good carpenter. :laugh:

The entire curriculum was set in stone except for one class - you could either chose between home ed - cooking, sewing, and blah,blah. Or you can do the wood workshop/ work on cars with the guys. Me being me of course picked the wood workshop. All my friends have learned how to sew and bake, and I'm neither a mechanic nor a good carpenter. :laugh:
Hehehe....But there were boys!!! We didn't have that luxury....:laugh:

I hated chemistry in high school, so I'm not sure how I would have done with HS ochem either. I think I was pretty dumb back then, too.

Glad I'm not the only one ;)