Organic Chemistry I/II Over the Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted862527

is it doable? Can I at least get a B in it and has anyone else done it before? thoughts appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I took both (with labs) over the summer and got A+ in both - it can be done! Get ready to study a lot

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

is it doable? Can I at least get a B in it and has anyone else done it before? thoughts appreciated

Just find a 4 year college where the Organic Chem summer classes are a "joke" and you shouldn't have any problem getting even an A in them. (Let alone a B lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took both (with labs) over the summer and got A+ in both - it can be done! Get ready to study a lot

OMG are you serious? Did you just study 24/7? I am ok with just B's but if A's can be done I'd love to aim for them.

OMG are you serious? Did you just study 24/7? I am ok with just B's but if A's can be done I'd love to aim for them.

I stayed at school from 8 to 7 and studied when not in class or lab - I also worked remotely as needed. School was 2.5 hours from home, so I drove up Sunday, stayed with relatives through the week, and drove home on Friday. I also hadn’t taken any chemistry in 18 years, so I had to play some catch up. It definitely wasn’t a joke at the school I attended, but it was doable with some effort. Totally worth it to get started on my postbacc classes. I referred to it as back to school boot camp.

I listened to a lot of khan academy videos and did a ton of practice problems- just go in with the mindset that you are going to work hard, and be willing to work. It’s doable!

Last edited:
I took organic chemistry II in the summer.

A+ in lecture, A in lab.

For reference, I made an A in lecture and lab during the “on season” (fall) for ochem I.

It really isn’t all that different. Usually the speed of the class during the summer makes up for any lowered difficulty compared to the “on season”.

Last edited:

I have never done it. But from what I've been told. You will basically be a chapter behind everyday. And you will need to devote the entire day studying. It also depends where you take it. Your alma mater? CC? Different college?

Provide more detail

I have never done it. But from what I've been told. You will basically be a chapter behind everyday. And you will need to devote the entire day studying. It also depends where you take it. Your alma mater? CC? Different college?

Provide more detail

it's at a four year state university, not a CC

it's at a four year state university, not a CC

I took Organic I and II w/ labs this summer at my local 4-year university and did well.

Like other posters have said, it is a lot of work. Essentially, I had about 8 hours of lecture a week, generally covering 2-3 chapters per week. On the one hand, it was nice to have done it in the summer because you don't really have time to forget anything, so the cumulative nature of Organic Chemistry was nice in that regard.

On the other hand, since you are covering the material very quickly, it's very easy to fall behind because you have to do practice problems, etc. and every concept builds upon the previous material. I was feeling quite burnt out towards the end of Organic II.

In the end, with some effort, you should get a B and if you work hard, an A is definitely possible.

I took Organic I and II w/ labs this summer at my local 4-year university and did well.

Like other posters have said, it is a lot of work. Essentially, I had about 8 hours of lecture a week, generally covering 2-3 chapters per week. On the one hand, it was nice to have done it in the summer because you don't really have time to forget anything, so the cumulative nature of Organic Chemistry was nice in that regard.

On the other hand, since you are covering the material very quickly, it's very easy to fall behind because you have to do practice problems, etc. and every concept builds upon the previous material. I was feeling quite burnt out towards the end of Organic II.

In the end, with some effort, you should get a B and if you work hard, an A is definitely possible.

How many pages per chapter would you say? Only estimate if you can. Is the content in organic the most difficult ever? I hear so many bad things about this class it makes me nervous lol

I'm also interested in knowing about this. I want to take Orgo 1 w/lab over the summer most likely at a CC because there are better professors and flexible time options for it. Then I'll just take Orgo 2 w/lab next Fall. During this past summer there was a school that offered it over 3 weeks and the longest session was 8 weeks (there were 4 and 5 week options as well). Does an 8 week session sound like the best option?

Reactions: 1 user
Taking an 8-credit summer class is always going to be a big risk. If you fall behind during the Fall or Spring semester you can throw a lot of time at the class, hire a tutor, etc. If you fall behind or just can't figure out a certain concept in a class where you cover a semester's worth of material in 3 weeks, you're gonna have a bad time. And then when you get a B (or worse), that's an 8-credit slap to the face of your GPA.

Reactions: 1 users