Organic Chemistry II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starflower

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering how bad it looks that I got a "C" in the 2nd semester of orgo. I got a "B" in the 1st semester, and I have a 3.75 overall. If my gpa is ok, how important is my grade in this class? I once read a post saying "You don't want anything less than an A in organic chemistry." I really do not want to retake orgo. I have not taken the mcat yet, but assuming I do ok, how bad is the "C"?

Thanks for your hlep.

Members don't see this ad.

starflower said:
Hello,

I am wondering how bad it looks that I got a "C" in the 2nd semester of orgo. I got a "B" in the 1st semester, and I have a 3.75 overall. If my gpa is ok, how important is my grade in this class? I once read a post saying "You don't want anything less than an A in organic chemistry." I really do not want to retake orgo. I have not taken the mcat yet, but assuming I do ok, how bad is the "C"?

Thanks for your hlep.

This all depends on what you have in your other courses (BCPM). How was your MCAT? EC?

I don't think that a B,C in Orgo is going to kill you, but make sure you can explain why if you get an interview.

starflower said:
Hello,

Thanks for your hlep.

Of course nobody wants less than an A in Organic Chemistry :) . I wouldn't dream of retaking organic. My best advise is to take a more advanced chem course like biochem and do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of taking physical chemistry. Would that look good?

starflower said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of taking physical chemistry. Would that look good?

Have you taken analytical chemistry yet? It's like PChem's kid sister, but still an impressive course to have taken. If you like analytical, then I'd suggest going after PChem for an additional boost. Their topics are relatively related, so I hear. (I'll be taking PChem this semester, and therefore have no experience with it. I did take analytical, though, and liked it. I believe, at my school, analytical is a prereq to pchem anyway.)

pamd said:

Of course nobody wants less than an A in Organic Chemistry :) . I wouldn't dream of retaking organic. My best advise is to take a more advanced chem course like biochem and do well.

As for biochem, to me, it seems like Organic III. More pathways, more stereochemistry, more fun things like that to know. If you think you can succeed here, it's a great path to show improvement. But beware: many before you have fallen victim to the monster that is Biochemistry.

starflower said:

Yeah, all you can do is take some more upper div science classes and really work for that A. I would suggest taking Biochem, an A there is probably the best way to "redeem" yourself, as long as you think your C in O-chem had more to do with controllable factors than things outside your control (another C will do more harm than good). If chem just isn't your thing, take some upper div Bio classes and show 'em what you're made of.

starflower said:

Hi there,
Do not take anything to "look good". I have seen Physical Chemistry derail the medical careers of plenty of folks. Physical Chemistry requires a solid working knowlege of calculus and differential equations. If you do not have a good math background, leave this one alone.

If you want an upper division chemistry course, take graduate level Biochemistry and do well. It is more along the lines of your medical interests anyway and it would give you some exposure before medical school.

Stay away from P. Chem unless you love the subject matter and have the math background to do well. This is not a course to take just to "look good".

njbmd :)

P.S. I would let the Organic grades stand as they are, ace the MCAT and never look back.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Do not take anything to "look good". I have seen Physical Chemistry derail the medical careers of plenty of folks. Physical Chemistry requires a solid working knowlege of calculus and differential equations. If you do not have a good math background, leave this one alone.

I'll just second that....I know *chemistry majors* and *engineering majors* who have been slaughtered by Physical Chemistry. Unless it's drastically different at your school, I'd stay far away from that class.

Zoom-Zoom said:
Yeah, all you can do is take some more upper div science classes and really work for that A. I would suggest taking Biochem, an A there is probably the best way to "redeem" yourself, as long as you think your C in O-chem had more to do with controllable factors than things outside your control (another C will do more harm than good). If chem just isn't your thing, take some upper div Bio classes and show 'em what you're made of.

I'd try biochem, or even inorganic before going to p-chem. P-chem's a beast unless you love calculus

I'm kinda in the same boat. So if anyone can give me some advice I will appreciate it: I got a C in ochem 1, A in ochem 2, and a A in biochem. And 2 B's in gen bio. My question is that I took biochem over the summer and was wondering if this would look "bad"? I honestly thought it was more challenging since we had to study hard everday. Any thoughts?

CTtarheel said:
I'd try biochem, or even inorganic before going to p-chem. P-chem's a beast unless you love calculus

starflower said:
Hello,

Thanks for your hlep.
The C will probably hurt you...but just do your best and keep your grades up for the next semester,etc. It won't keep you out of med school at any rate.

moto_za said:
I'm kinda in the same boat. So if anyone can give me some advice I will appreciate it: I got a C in ochem 1, A in ochem 2, and a A in biochem. And 2 B's in gen bio. My question is that I took biochem over the summer and was wondering if this would look "bad"? I honestly thought it was more challenging since we had to study hard everday. Any thoughts?
As long as you took biochem at your university (or one of similar caliber) as opposed to a community college then it doesn't matter when you took it.

moto_za said:

Biochem in the summer is better than no biochem at all. Many schools don't even require it, so it will never look "bad" on your transcript. My school doesn't even allow us to take biochem over the summer. It must be really hard.

Yea, I took IT at my university and it was two summer sessions long. Pre session and session 1. I had to spend at least 4 hours per day including weekends to barely make the cutoff for an A :scared:
pamd said:

Biochem in the summer is better than no biochem at all. Many schools don't even require it, so it will never look "bad" on your transcript. My school doesn't even allow us to take biochem over the summer. It must be really hard.