1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Organic Chemistry in Maryland

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JuneT, Dec 30, 2008.

1. JuneT

Pre-Medical
    I need to find a school that I can take the second semester of organic chemistry next school year in Maryland (between DC and Ft Meade). I think I will have to take it in the evening, but there is a chance I will be doing shift work and can attend during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to take the second semester in the fall if that is possible, but I know most schools offer the first semester in the fall and the second semester in the spring.

Background:
    - I'm in the Air Force and will be moving from Colorado to Maryland in February.
    - I graduated from Ohio State in June 2003. I took physics and general chemistry there, but I was already committed to the Air Force and not very aware of AF medical programs, busy with ROTC and other classes, etc. and didn't take the other premed requirements.
    - I took biology and the first semester of organic chemistry at Pikes Peak Community College. I have been reading this forum for a while and know that some people have strong opinions about doing prereqs at CCs, but it was my only option for taking these in the evening.
    - Due to my assignment, I cannot take the second semester of organic chemistry here.

Thanks for your help!
    JuneT

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    try pg community college, maybe anne arundel community, montgomery or howard county community college... dc community college (no idea what it's called though), one of the virginia counties just over the line.

february might be in time for the spring term. and i know at least one of those must have it in the summer.

4. AUS4

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This school is 10 minutes away from Ft meade and is a very strong CC. I took organic 2 there w/ Dr Brown , who is a very popular and a very good chemistry teacher. If you want a 4 year , try UMCP or Bowie State.

5. Stixman28

Stixman28 Medical Scientician
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    All of the CC's are close, cheap and fine institutions.

However, what the previous posters have neglected to mention is that most adcoms prefer that you do your post-bac at a 4 year institution. This is to ensure the academic rigor of the program you're in.

U of Maryland, College park has a "sciences in the evening" program, and I am sure you can be able to take their daytime classes as well. Just apply asap. Depending on where you'll be located, you may want to look at the UMBC's too.

6. 236116

She's not doing a post-bacc, she's taking classes.

It doesn't ensure anything except that you're paying a lot.

And for the love of g-d, it's U MD. U of MD. Not UM, CP. not UMCP. Argh.

7. ..........................

#6 Deleted member 237747, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  8. Random Dictator

Removed

Pre-Medical
    What are you talking about? Nobody here calls it U MD or U of MD.

UMB = University of Maryland Baltimore (the professional school, including medicine, dentistry, law)
    UMCP = University of Maryland College Park (the flagship campus)
    UMBC = University of Maryland Baltimore County
    UMUC = University of Maryland University College

As for the CC, Montgomery College is not bad for easy organic chemistry classes. It has campuses in Rockville, Tahoma Park, and Germantown.

9. 236116

The only "University of Maryland" is the one in College Park. It and University of Maryland, Baltimore, are the only ones allowed to put "University of Maryland" on diplomas. (UMB is the mostly-pro division, it has the upper-level programmes that UMD does not have as a part of its programs but does also offer ugrad programs.)

University of Maryland, Baltimore County is a completely different entity. Its diplomas say "University of Maryland, Baltimore County."

UMUC was originally "night-school". It then became an independent institution, and was later folded into the University System of Maryland.

10. Stixman28

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Wow, talk about an angry post.

The OP is not from the area, i was trying to be as clear as possible.

Any classes taken after your baccalaureate would clearly be "post-baccalaureate."

UMB calls themselves university of maryland bc theyre mostly professional schools, (not all, nursing eg.) without any intercollegiate sports. So, there is little risk of it getting mixed up with college park. Maryland folks know this...but cmon, lets play nice.

11. 236116

there's a difference between "doing a post-bacc" and "taking classes after graduation". one is a defined program, the other is messing with your credit lists.

12. Stixman28

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, this is just a semantic argument. And not worth getting in a tiff about.

But, in the post-bac world, some might call the latter "messing with your credit lists" an "informal post-bac"

post-bac isn't a bad word. it's just an intrinsic explanation of when the classes were taken

13. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is a really silly argument, but fwiw, I've lived in Maryland all my life, my dad went to UMCP, I go to another public college in Maryland, and Random Dictator has got it right. Sorry jurrassicpark :p

14. 236116

I suspect I'm older than you.

I've never heard it called UMCP by anyone who knew what they were talking about. AAMOF, the only people I've ever heard use that term are the pre-allo kids on SDN talking smack about a) UMBC, or b) state schools in general.

Thanks for playing.

15. PandaBrewMaster

PandaBrewMaster w00tcakes
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As irrelevent as this is to OP's question, I feel like I have to respond.

To preface, I go to Maryland.

Our school is called two things around here. Maryland students often just call it "CP" cuz we know what that means. The "UM" part is usually left out because its unnecessary, tho lots (repeat, lots) of people here also call it UMCP. Ive heard students call it "UMCP" many times, tho eventually it just gets shortened to "CP." Others just call it "UMD" or simply "Maryland." I think "Maryland" is the most popular, and pretty much always refers to the College Park Campus unless you go to medical, dental, or nursing school in Baltimore, and people know what you mean anyway. People almost never just say "UM" or "U of M." I dont think Ive ever heard those be used, except when the marching band spells it out on the football field as "UM" The College Park (flagship) campus is either called CP, UMCP, UMD, or just Maryland.

University of Maryland, Baltimore County is called UMBC. Its a seperate campus and denoted as such. "Maryland" never refers to UMBC. UMBC is called UMBC, or actually, just "BC" most of the time. Notice the dropping of the "UM" because its unnecessary.

If you go to UMB, that is, the medical, dental, nursing schools of Maryland, then you say that you go to "Maryland." Actually some of the dental students i know like to call it the Baltimore college of dental surgery for fun. First dental school in the world, after all.

UMES, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, is usually called "Easten Shore." But noone ever talks about it around here.

Theres also a shady grove campus, there may be classes that you can take there.

As far as OP's question, I think UMUC (university of maryland university college) may offer classes, im not really sure. Or you could probably take em at MK. Thats montgomery college. the K is for quality. Seriously tho, its supposed to be one of the best community colleges around.

And that, as they say, is that.

#14 PandaBrewMaster, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  16. 236116

It's an entirely separate school.

LOL at the dentistry thing.

That's because UMES is a figment of the USM's imagination. ;) Princess Anne doesn't actually exist. (JK) I don't think there's anyone from UMES on here.

17. ohmedschool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have lived in Maryland my whole life too and have 7 family members go through the MD system. I agree with you and Random Dictator. I think this jurrasicpark dude is just a moron who says stupid **** to get people to argue with him. Probably a psychiatric problem. So glad I'm not him.

18. closer23

closer23 Liberal
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

#17 closer23, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  19. JuneT

Pre-Medical
    Thank you to everyone who made suggestions. Since I'm not from the area the rest of the replies are a bit confusing, but maybe by this time next year I will "get" the "UMD" thing.

20. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm confused as to why I should care that you're older than me. My point is that the college in question is usually called College Park when being spoken about but is also often called UMCP in writing (for example, on an internet message board).

I actually wasn't personally attacking you, merely sharing my opinion. I love how people can't stand to be contradicted on the internet. No need to get snarky.

Ok, I will now cease and desist with the thread hijacking. Sorry for derailing the thread!

21. 236116

you said all your life. my life's been longer than yours. that said, i hang out with people who aren't hip to the vernacular. :shrug: whatever.

:yawn: <-- i just found this smiley. he's awesome. :p

22. Ricegrad05

5+ Year Member

Medical Student