Organic Chemistry in Summer CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Community College classes for prerequistes?

• Total voters

kennyram401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be a big deal if I took O Chem at my old community college next Summer and Fall semesters because my college only offers online hybrid classes for O Chem and a DO school I want to apply to is not happy about online classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally i think I have learned more in my summer classes (biochem and calc) than any others. I don't really think they'd care excessively especially if you dropped a couple A's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless there's a compelling reason to do it there, you generally should take summer courses at schools that are in the same class as your undergraduate college - so four-year school -----> four-year school. If you have a particularly good reason for doing it, then the answer to your question wouldn't help you anyway (i.e. money, being near home so you don't have to pay for living, etc.).

Unless there's a compelling reason to do it there, you generally should take summer courses at schools that are in the same class as your undergraduate college - so four-year school -----> four-year school. If you have a particularly good reason for doing it, then the answer to your question wouldn't help you anyway (i.e. money, being near home so you don't have to pay for living, etc.).
mY
My college only offers Organic Chem for hybrid online/ in person labs courses and I don't think many med schools would like that. I asked NYIT and they gave me a harsh "No".

I have been told from many many adults-who are in admission office, who have children in med school etc-that taking ANY core pre-reqs in CC is never recommended.

Also, when my sister used to be pre-dental, she was told from OHSU that they don't accept CC credit

Which makes me question: Why do med schools NOT look down on AP credits as much as they do on CC classes?

Last edited:
I have been told from many many adults-who are in admission office, who have children in med school etc-that taking ANY core pre-reqs in CC is never recommended.

Also, when my sister used to be pre-dental, she was told from OHSU that they don't accept CC credit
So should I just take the online/ in person lab O Chem at my four year instead of the traditional community college?

It would completely disqualify my from going to NYIT COM because they do not accept online courses.

well I m not an expert at all; I just added a tad bit to what everyone already said in this thread.

Maybe you should consult your counselor and NYIT admission office. I never heard of college that doesnt' offer traditional Ochem classes,btw...

well I m not an expert at all; I just added a tad bit to what everyone already said in this thread.

Maybe you should consult your counselor and NYIT admission office. I never heard of college that doesnt' offer traditional Ochem classes,btw...
I go to Providence College School of Continuing Education.

Idk man. Adcom may think that you chose the easy way out. Plus, Ochem is Ochem. If you do badly, it will be really really bad. A summer course of Ochem is very risky.

I took 2 of my gen chem courses at CC too, coz they were cheap!!! But I took like 2 of them in the a semester back to back so hopefully that will show my competence :/

My college only offers Organic Chem for hybrid online/ in person labs courses and I don't think many med schools would like that. I asked NYIT and they gave me a harsh "No".

Is it possible for you to take the course at a four-year school? Most four-year schools have summer programs as well although perhaps not as cheap as you would find at a community college.

I go to Providence College School of Continuing Education.

Why are you in the school of continuing education and not the school of arts and sciences? I looked at the website for the school of continuing education and they don't seem to offer any science classes.

To answer the OP's question, I don't think it would be a problem as long as it is normal ochem with lab. As a nontraditional student, I took a number of prerequisite science classes at community college because it was much, much more affordable (in California--like 1/10th the price per unit): general chem I/II with lab, biology I with lab, physics I/II with lab.
I did end up taking ochem I/II at a 4-year school (it was not available with lab at CC near me) and I also took biochemistry at a 4-year school. Be aware that there are abbreviated ochem classes at some CCs (for nursing, allied health) that will not serve you well later in your educational career.
I ended up with several intereviews and 1 acceptance. I don't think CC classes are as detrimental to your chances as people seem to think.

Last edited:
To answer the OP's question, I don't think it would be a problem as long as it is normal ochem with lab. As a nontraditional student, I took a number of prerequisite science classes at community college because it was much, much more affordable (in California--like 1/10th the price per unit): general chem I/II with lab, biology I with lab, physics I/II with lab.
I did end up taking ochem I/II at a 4-year school (it was not available with lab at CC near me) and I also took biochemistry at a 4-year school. Be aware that there are abbreviated ochem classes at some CCs (for nursing, allied health) that will not serve you well later in your educational career.
I ended up with 6 interviews, 1 acceptance, 1 WL. I don't think CC classes are as detrimental to your chances as people seem to think.
Alright Ill go for it. How many schools did you apply to?

Alright Ill go for it. How many schools did you apply to?
Lol apparently enough. Close to 30. And yeah I see where you're coming from. Still, I think if I had focused my choices better I could have applied to fewer.
Here's a question which occurred to me past night. So I did fairly well on the MCAT. What would happen if you went to CC classes and did only fair or mediocre? Probably would reflect poorly on you.

Lol apparently enough. Close to 30. And yeah I see where you're coming from. Still, I think if I had focused my choices better I could have applied to fewer.
Here's a question which occurred to me past night. So I did fairly well on the MCAT. What would happen if you went to CC classes and did only fair or mediocre? Probably would reflect poorly on you.
Do you think if I apply to 17 schools Ill even have a shot then?

Do you think if I apply to 17 schools Ill even have a shot then?
If you apply smartly, yeah I think you'd have a shot. Which is to say, dont apply to oos schools that don't take oos applicants; dont apply if you dont meet the prereqs, etc. If you have a good GPA, good mcat, and a story that shows your interest in medicine you'll probably get interviews.
I definitely applied to too many reach schools for my particular 'story' and a couple of low probability oos places.
Remeber if you get an interview you've made the cut: they don't care where you took your prereqs, etc. at that point. it's all on your ability to present yourself to your interviewer.

If you apply smartly, yeah I think you'd have a shot. Which is to say, dont apply to oos schools that don't take oos applicants; dont apply if you dont meet the prereqs, etc. If you have a good GPA, good mcat, and a story that shows your interest in medicine you'll probably get interviews.
I definitely applied to too many reach schools for my particular 'story' and a couple of low probability oos places.
Remeber if you get an interview you've made the cut: they don't care where you took your prereqs, etc. at that point. it's all on your ability to present yourself to your interviewer.
Which school were you accepted to?

I know online courses are not looked at favorably, but you stated that it's an online hybrid course so I think that might be better. It might look like you took an easy way out if you go to your old community college that you no longer attend and take a summer course for one of the hardest pre-req classes.

I know online courses are not looked at favorably, but you stated that it's an online hybrid course so I think that might be better. It might look like you took an easy way out if you go to your old community college that you no longer attend and take a summer course for one of the hardest pre-req classes.
I did some research with the schools I want to apply to and they all agree that hybrid classes should be fine. Thank you all.