Organic Chemistry Lab Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

countdracula4u

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDNers,

So I have a problem: I took organic chemistry at my university but never took the lab component (mostly because I ran out of units). I didn't need it for my major back then, but now, I decided that I want to go to medical school and therefore need to do it. Do you know of any programs where I would only have to take the lab?

I know community colleges have them but you have to start from the beginning (Ie: from get chem) before you can take the orgo lab.

Also, hypothetically speaking, if I wasn't able to get into an organic chemistry lab, could I put one of my general chemistry labs to satisfy the requirement on the AMCAS (For reference my school has two 4 unit gen chem labs which I took before graduating). Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So, at the state school where I am taking prereqs, I know that people in this situation have spoken with advisers, and been able to take just the lab. And there's no need to "start from the beginning" unless you took the lecture a certain number of years ago, in which case you may want to retake it anyways. I highly doubt you would be able to use gen chem labs in place of organic chem labs, but I could be wrong.

So, at the state school where I am taking prereqs, I know that people in this situation have spoken with advisers, and been able to take just the lab. And there's no need to "start from the beginning" unless you took the lecture a certain number of years ago, in which case you may want to retake it anyways. I highly doubt you would be able to use gen chem labs in place of organic chem labs, but I could be wrong.

Hmm I'll take a look into it. Is there a cheaper option though because if I would just take a lab I'm assuming it would be a couple grand at my school...

Members don't see this ad :)
The cheapest option I can think of is an accredited local state college or community college. I'm taking my prereqs at a school that was formerly a CC and now offers a few bachelor's degrees so they're now a "State College".. and it's nowhere near a couple grand for a lab. It's not exactly ivy league, but they're accredited and accepted at the most of the MD schools I plan on applying to.

The cheapest option I can think of is an accredited local state college or community college. I'm taking my prereqs at a school that was formerly a CC and now offers a few bachelor's degrees so they're now a "State College".. and it's nowhere near a couple grand for a lab. It's not exactly ivy league, but they're accredited and accepted at the most of the MD schools I plan on applying to.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at both options and see which is the cheapest/looks best.