Organic chemistry lab grade as important as lecture grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frozentears

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools look at organic chemistry lab grades as closely as lecture grades?

Members don't see this ad.

probably

but it's not as important for your gpa b/c it probably has a lower # of credits/units.

If you're in a state u system where the state undergrad schools give a large number of A's and B's in organic lab (and few A's in lecture), then I imagine the lab being of less importance since the majority have B+/A whereas a far lesser number are so for the lecture. If you're in a system known to have a lab equally as hard as the lecture, then the importance of the lab grade increases.... somewhat intuitive. Might help if we knew whether or not you're part of a large state system.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools rarely look at individual grades because it doesn't mean much. It's consistent performance over time that matters more.

If you're in a state u system where the state undergrad schools give a large number of A's and B's in organic lab (and few A's in lecture), then I imagine the lab being of less importance since the majority have B+/A whereas a far lesser number are so for the lecture.

umm....i don't know what state you're referring to, but ochem and gchem labs at my state school were fairly hard and most people got C's...

Lab is infinitely harder at UVA than lecture is. The concepts are actually very easy. The lab reports are a breeze to write, even though they are detailed. But when you get to a final that has half of its questions in the form of "Which of these are/are not involved in the synthesis of X", and the answers are always A,B,C, A and B, A, B and C, then you run into problems. Especially when the average of the class is set to a C, and pretty much whatever you get on the final is what you get in the class. I got an A- in both lectures, and a B and B- in the labs. Go figure.