Organic Chemistry Lab prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarseeker

Hopeful Future Int. Rad
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I went on a few medical school sites yesterday and they all say they require organic chemistry with lab. 8 semester units or 12 quarter units. I transferred to UCLA from a CC. At my CC I took a semester of organic chem with lab. Then, I transferred to UCLA and took my remaining half year of ochem without the lab. At UCLA, there isn't a way for me to enroll in a semester of lab since they are on quarter system obviously. I'm very confused on what I need to do to meet this requirement. I also took biochemistry lab. Would this sub for the o chem?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't you take the lab separately?

And some schools will accept biochem as the second semester of OChem, but it all depends

Agree with the above, are the lab and lecture only offered as a single course or something?

If so, I would email a few schools and see what you can do. My guess is that you're probably somewhat SOL and will have to take the lab (even if that means taking the course again), but each school might handle it differently. Some may care while others don't.

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad :)
So would two quarters equal one semester? Or in the quarter system, are three quarters equal to two semesters?

Could you take the second semester back at the CC even if it does not count toward your degree? Just in case you apply to a school that will not substitute biochem.

Yes, it is the quarter system so I am guessing 3 quarters is one year, however UCLA only offers 2 quarters of ochem lab. Also, the last lab is extremely hard to get into and is usually open to only chemistry majors so I dont know how nonchem majors even get in. This is how UCLA's chem is set up.

30A, 30B, 30C (These are quarter courses and are equal to ochem 1,2, 3 respectively)
30BL, 30CL (These are also quarter courses and are the corresponding labs.)

I have taken 30A-30C + 30BL. The problem lies in the 30CL where it is near impossible to even enroll in the course.

Does the lab cover both semesters/quarters? I had a similar set up (2 3-hour courses with a separate 2-hour lab).

I'm not entirely sure. There isn't an "Orgo II" lab or anything. The only other Orgo lab I see is a 400 level course (as opposed to this 200 level lab course) so is assume that one is for mainly chem majors. I might take that lab regardless though since I'm wanting to do a chem minor for my honors contract with the university

I've transferred from a semester to a quarter school; basically, if your school only has one quarter of lab, that will be counted as a "semester" of lab by med schools, since quarters are generally faster-paced than semesters and will cover more or less the same amount of material, +/- a unit or two. But if you're really worried, you can take two quarters of lab (there should be at least o-chem lab I and II at your school).

I'm not entirely sure. There isn't an "Orgo II" lab or anything. The only other Orgo lab I see is a 400 level course (as opposed to this 200 level lab course) so is assume that one is for mainly chem majors. I might take that lab regardless though since I'm wanting to do a chem minor for my honors contract with the university

That's what it sounds like. And take the advanced organic lab - I had a terrible professor but still enjoyed that course (granted, though, I actually enjoyed ochem and was a biochem major).

For me it depended on the school. I had 8 Orgo credits ( 2 - three credit lectures and one semester 2 credit lab).
Some schools ask for 8 credit hours and some ask for 2 semesters of lecture and lab. Some schools will take biochem, others won't. Unfortunately, I think you just have to look at the websites for the schools and their specific requirements (in my opinion the MSAR wasn't detailed enough, it usually just said orgo required and not how much).
There were some schools that I couldn't apply to because I only had one semester of orgo lab. There were some that I applied to with the thought that if that if they accepted me (or interviewed me and there was a possibility of acceptance) then I would take it.
I got into a school that only requires 8 credit hours of orgo, so I was fine without taking more.

Hmmmm. I will email the school. Thanks!

If there's no way to do the Orgo 2 lab separately, you could always try and take it at a nearby college/CC just to meet the pre-req.

Hi. Noticed you are a transfer but usually at UCLA the only people who take 30CL are Biochem and Chem majors.
Looking at the courses you've taken you're actually slightly ahead of the pack.
Usually for the 20 series premeds take Chem 20A, 20B, 20L, 30A, 30AL, 30B,and 30BL. 30C is recommended and people usually don't take it. You have 8 units of O-Chem lecture and 3 units of lab, so I think you're okay.

Hi. Noticed you are a transfer but usually at UCLA the only people who take 30CL are Biochem and Chem majors.
Looking at the courses you've taken you're actually slightly ahead of the pack.
Usually for the 20 series premeds take Chem 20A, 20B, 20L, 30A, 30AL, 30B,and 30BL. 30C is recommended and people usually don't take it. You have 8 units of O-Chem lecture and 3 units of lab, so I think you're okay.

This is what I hope, however on most sites it says "organic chemistry with lab" 12 quarter units or 8 semester units.