Organic Chemistry Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drogba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LAb and lecture courses are separate at my institution. I have already taken Orgo I and II but I may not be able to take the lab until after the MCAT. Is this advisable?

Members don't see this ad.

LAb and lecture courses are separate at my institution. I have already taken Orgo I and II but I may not be able to take the lab until after the MCAT. Is this advisable?
I dont think it will hurt your score much, if at all. Lab was all about separations pretty much.

Only if you only learned IR & NMR spect. in lab and not lecture. You definitely have to know that for the MCAT, but I doubt it would affect your score much otherwise since organic chemistry is already only a small part of the bio section (or so I've heard) and ochem lab will be even less.

Only if you only learned IR & NMR spect. in lab and not lecture. You definitely have to know that for the MCAT, but I doubt it would affect your score much otherwise since organic chemistry is already only a small part of the bio section (or so I've heard) and ochem lab will be even less.
Mmmm... People are reporting an increase in organic chemistry content on their exams, so careful on thinking it's still a "small part". However, I do agree that most people will learn IR/NMR in lecture, which is more likely to come up on the test. I think if you *had* to take the MCAT without something, organic lab would be the thing it's OK to miss..

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think missing lab would be a huge issue. The NMR/IR practice you get in lab would certainly help you though....plus when they ask you about reactions, sometimes you can think back to lab and get the answer.

IR/NMR was not taught in my second semester of orgo unfortunately do to the professors preference and the fact that it would be taught in lab. However, it seems like it would be pretty easy to self-teach this. What do you think?