Organic Chemistry Labs online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullglaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello forum, pre-req question here. This is my first post, I hope it's in the right category.

I've completed all my pre-reqs for MD except for both O-Chem Labs. I was hoping someone could shed some light on how important these are, considering I have a Masters in Medical Sciences. Also how bad would it be for me to take them online? Does anyone know schools that do offer it online for a fair price or in Florida, as it is my home state and I'll be paying in state tuition. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You use a program that has reagents, compounds, and other conditions. To say the least it's probably more clean and the percent yields are reasonable.

I see, but that's probably not as fun as doing it in real life. The feeling you get when finding out your yield is way more than 100% :thumbup:

to answer ts question, I don't think it's reasonable to expect that schools will accept online lab grades. But I don't know for sure, why not ask the schools you intend to apply to?

You use a program that has reagents, compounds, and other conditions. To say the least it's probably more clean and the percent yields are reasonable.

Wow, never heard of such a thing. I wonder if you can wash your crystals and send 90% of your yield down the drain, just like in real life.

I always liked it when an MCAT passage described one of my labs perfectly. I always felt it lent a little legitimacy to my backwater post-bacc experience.

I've taken physics labs online. There is really no way for school to know it was online unless they actually ask about it. Order your transcript and take a look. On mine it is the exact same class as the in-class lab. Also, I took both in-class and online physics labs and learned way more online, FYI.

I see, but that's probably not as fun as doing it in real life. The feeling you get when finding out your yield is way more than 100% :thumbup:

to answer ts question, I don't think it's reasonable to expect that schools will accept online lab grades. But I don't know for sure, why not ask the schools you intend to apply to?

:laugh::laugh: That happened to me a couple of times. Turning in a compound that has a 160% yield and a BP 10-15 degrees off.

:laugh::laugh: That happened to me a couple of times. Turning in a compound that has a 160% yield and a BP 10-15 degrees off.
Amateur. 763% yield is my personal record.

Organic lab online must suck. How are you supposed to break things?

Amateur. 763% yield is my personal record.

Organic lab online must suck. How are you supposed to break things?

I always loved explaining to my professor how I broke our crappy glassware. She would throw a hissy fit. I swear if they would get us new glassware instead of making us use cracked ones, it wouldn't be a problem.:D