Organic Chemistry on MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bengreenfield

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't really seem to find a good answer, so perhaps someone knows...how much Organic Chemistry II is on the MCAT?

In other words, if I haven't taken Ochem 2 yet, will I be lost?

Hey, also, anybody know about the rumor that more biochemistry will be on the 2003 MCAT?

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what you mean by Organic Chemistry II. Are you on a semester system? At my university, the second o.chem class has a lot of carbonyl chemistry. And, ooooh yeeeah, you need that for the MCAT. BIG TIME. Take it if you can.

Good Luck

Originally posted by bengreenfield
I can't really seem to find a good answer, so perhaps someone knows...how much Organic Chemistry II is on the MCAT?

In other words, if I haven't taken Ochem 2 yet, will I be lost?

Hey, also, anybody know about the rumor that more biochemistry will be on the 2003 MCAT?

Ben

I would definitely take Organic Chemistry II before the MCAT. There is a good chance there will be a passage or two that requires knowledge typically gained in 2nd semester orgo.

The prereqs for the mcat/medical schools are pretty well fixed. Definitely finish your intro bios, chems, physics, and both sems of orgo before taking it.

Well, when I took the MCAT I had just started third quarter of organic (there was a passage about a reaction that we covered two weeks later in class) and I still got a 13 on BS so it is possible to do ok without finishing organic. However, starting third quarter is not the same as only one semester. It also depends on if you have the basic organic concepts down or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much what everyone said. The organic on the MCAT was all reactions, which at my school was covered much more in depth during the second semester. So, you probably want to take organic 2 before you take the MCAT.

OK...

I'm taking the MCAT in April....

I have the Kaplan and Princeton reviews....

I have a 4.0 science GPA, including biochemistry....

BUT I HAVEN'T TAKEN OCHEMII AND YA'LL ARE SCARING ME!

Is there a thread of hope anyone can offer, like "read this book"?

Thanks!

Ben

the mcats is more intuitive, than cramming and getting the answers like that. and the organic chemistry are usually passage based, so if u are good at figuring things out from the passages, then u could be fine without organic chemistry 2, and besides i think organic chemisty is only about 3-4 questions.

dont get scared people!

I am in the same boat. In order to start in 2004, I have to take the MCAT without completing OChemII. I am studying it on my own currently and I have quite a bit of time before I take it (next August) and I am praying that I will do well enough to get in to the schools I am applying to.

Determined