Organic Chemistry on PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingandrew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Taking the PCAT on September 5th and I bought Dr. Collins materials and a book called "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" for studying, seeing as I haven't taken an organic chemistry class so I'll be learning as I study.

Any advice on what specifically should be studied for the organic on the PCAT? And if anyone has studied with the book (http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/111801040X), which chapters/sections were pertinent to the PCAT's organic material?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

SN1, SN2, dehydration reaction, halogenation of alkenes, esterifications, oxidation, reduction, reactions with carbonyl compounds, aromaticity, hybrization of orbitals, etc.
The reactions are generally not very detailed, so if you generally know the topics, you'll get the question correct.

Since you don't have a very long time, I would advise AT LEAST learning the nomenclature and the basic reactions Sn1/Sn2 E1/E2. I wouldn't waste too much time as Orgo is only ~30% of the Chemistry section.

As far as credentials, I received a 99 on the CH subtest.

I don't know if this is tested, I did not get into PCAT orgo yet (Just came off mcat) but are properties of weak acids/bases tested on the Orgo section too or is that expected to know from Inorgo only? When I covered that in orgo class it went so in depth, it brings me fears if I hear it. Looking here and seeing Orgo is pretty much the different types of reactions and stuff, makes me feel so much safer.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
SN1, SN2, dehydration reaction, halogenation of alkenes, esterifications, oxidation, reduction, reactions with carbonyl compounds, aromaticity, hybrization of orbitals, etc.
The reactions are generally not very detailed, so if you generally know the topics, you'll get the question correct.

What exactly is SN1/SN2?
Thanks for the response!

Since you don't have a very long time, I would advise AT LEAST learning the nomenclature and the basic reactions Sn1/Sn2 E1/E2. I wouldn't waste too much time as Orgo is only ~30% of the Chemistry section.

As far as credentials, I received a 99 on the CH subtest.

Thanks man!

Yea nomenclature is big, also Sn1/Sn1/E1/E2 is most of the orgo section and pretty easy to self study