Organic Chemistry Requirement for Vet School Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aliwishes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Advice please......
I know that vet school applications are due in a few months and i am considering applying for fall 2007. I was going to wait a year because my top choice school requires a one year Organic Chemistry but I was wondering if anyone knows of any vet schools that doesnt require a year of Organic Chemistry. I took one semester and dropped the second because I wasnt doing too well and took the advice from my college advisor to drop it before it ruined my GPA. I wished I had just taken the second semester. I am open to any ideas anyone might have. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Advice please......
I know that vet school applications are due in a few months and i am considering applying for fall 2007. I was going to wait a year because my top choice school requires a one year Organic Chemistry but I was wondering if anyone knows of any vet schools that doesnt require a year of Organic Chemistry. I took one semester and dropped the second because I wasnt doing too well and took the advice from my college advisor to drop it before it ruined my GPA. I wished I had just taken the second semester. I am open to any ideas anyone might have. thanks.

Um...applications were already due....Looks like you've got some time to take organic....

I think all of the schools require a full year of organic. If you go to take it, I'd really consider auditing or re-taking the first semester b/c chances are you forgot most of it and Ochem is pretty cumulative.

UC Davis will accept a short course (6 quarter units) but most schools require a full year...and you can't mix and match series.

O-chem is really really important to understand because it provides the building blocks for biochemistry which is required by everyone except Penn (and they strongly recommend it).

mtrl1
UC Davis Class of 2007, Pharmaceutical Chemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis will accept a short course (6 quarter units) but most schools require a full year...and you can't mix and match series.

O-chem is really really important to understand because it provides the building blocks for biochemistry which is required by everyone except Penn (and they strongly recommend it).

mtrl1

sorry but O-chem is a ginormous waste of time.

I'm not going to even attempt to respond to that immature comment...

But one thing I forgot to add is that O-chem is a class where you will encounter a very large amount of material, and you must be able to retain information from one quarter to use to the next. You can think of this mental challenge as a warm-up for the massive amounts of material you will encounter and need to recall in veterinary school.

mtrl1

organic chemistry IS a giant waste of time. The information you get in that course is completely useless (aside from the properties of functional groups); you will never utilize many of the things taught ever again in your productive life. Biochemistry is a different story, but i can assure you that everything you're going to need to know from biochem is taught IN biochem. Vet schools use organic chemistry as a weeder class because its competitive, has a high volume of information and is therefore difficult.

Since getting into vet school, i've YET to utilize one tidbit of 0-chem other than what i used in my clinical biochem class, and even then it was pretty flippin minimal.

Thanks all for your reply it was greatly appreciated. I guess i will just go back to my original plan, to take O Chem and apply for the following year. I guess I was wondering if there was a possibility but I totally understand. I just gotta get going with my prerequisites. Just gotta take that O.Chem class. sucks. thanks again.

organic chemistry IS a giant waste of time. The information you get in that course is completely useless (aside from the properties of functional groups); you will never utilize many of the things taught ever again in your productive life. Biochemistry is a different story, but i can assure you that everything you're going to need to know from biochem is taught IN biochem. Vet schools use organic chemistry as a weeder class because its competitive, has a high volume of information and is therefore difficult.

Since getting into vet school, i've YET to utilize one tidbit of 0-chem other than what i used in my clinical biochem class, and even then it was pretty flippin minimal.

Why are you still going on about this? No one even asked if organic chemistry is a waste of time.

If you go to take it, I'd really consider auditing or re-taking the first semester b/c chances are you forgot most of it and Ochem is pretty cumulative.

I'll agree with HorseyVet that Orgo is very cumulative, but might not suggest taking it again if you did well first semester. I took the second semester of Orgo over a year after taking the first half (transferring to a school with different chem requirements.) Although it was a lot of work re-learning all of those mechanisms independantly, I'm glad I didn't need to suffer through the first semester again and ended up doing really well. Just a note that it can be done...

Lisa

Advice please......

Hi. Organic Chemistry was like learning another language to me. I majored in English in college, and went back to school to get vet pre-req's. I did well, despite my fears, but I did go to a tutor for both semesters, and it was orgo boot camp. If you have the chance and money to get a tutor in orgo, I'd recommend it.

I think I recall some schools listing only the first term of Orgo as a pre-req, but if you look further, many require OTHER classes that require Orgo II anyway! So, there's no way around Orgo last I recall. Especially for the U.S. schools.

Study hard and good luck.