Organic Chemistry Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vickpick

TreeHugger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've looked around for research, but won't be able to sign up for any research until I take higher level bio classes.

So, another choice is O-Chem research. I'll be able to get 1 year worth of research experience. The PI told me to take the O-Chem over the summer so that I can start researching with him in fall.

Is it worth it? Is organic research a plus on MD application?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it because you want to do it. It's fine to do O-Chem research.

Do it because you want to do it. It's fine to do O-Chem research.

till now, I was looking at bio research as just a thing to add to my app...

Then, I started liking my o-chem lab, and wondered if a chem researcher'll accept a Bio major. Since it seems to be possible now, I wondered if it would be good to put on the app too. So, yes, I would love researching in O-chem...

I have done two years of synthetic orgo research, and I'm actually sad to be leaving my lab after school ends in two weeks. Orgo research is very hands on, with little of the low-impact "grunt" work which is often the job of an undergraduate in a bio lab. It's less cut and dried than research sometimes can be, and you have to think creatively to get things done. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to do it, because it can be a really great experience!

I have done two years of synthetic orgo research, and I'm actually sad to be leaving my lab after school ends in two weeks. Orgo research is very hands on, with little of the low-impact "grunt" work which is often the job of an undergraduate in a bio lab. It's less cut and dried than research sometimes can be, and you have to think creatively to get things done. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to do it, because it can be a really great experience!

thats why I chose o-chem over bio.

Hopefully my research will be rqually interactive as urs :)

If you want to do chemistry research, have at it. If you don't (and you'd rather be in a bio lab, I suppose), then don't. I have REALLY enjoyed taking my summers off, and relaxing by NOT doing any academic work. But that's not for everyone. Do what you want to do.

ughh!!.. i really wanted some off time after spring.. but i guess a month and a half will be enough.. o-chem 2 is offered in the second session at my U...

Chem research involving synthesis = fun.

I'm doing research on Kinetics and Organic Synthesis and it's very fun. I could do this for a 40 hr/week job (though it would get old after a year or so).

Chem research involving synthesis = fun.

I'm doing research on Kinetics and Organic Synthesis and it's very fun. I could do this for a 40 hr/week job (though it would get old after a year or so).
wow, you really have that much time - well i do to.. but can u really work for that many hrs w/o being exhausted?

I'm also doing organic chem research. Specifically in synthesis of helical catalysts, and i will say that it is a VERY good learning experience. Ive probably learned more in the lab than in the classroom. I'd say do it.

lol.. now that one opportunity knocked on my door, another one did too...

My organic lab TA said that if I was looking for organic research, he'll be glad to recommend me to his research professor (he's a doctorate candidate)...

they're working on some kind of enzyme, so I figure it must be sort of biology related...

the other research I was talking about - they worked on creating chiral auxiliaries...

wow, you really have that much time - well i do to.. but can u really work for that many hrs w/o being exhausted?

Huh? I don't work 40 hours a week on my research while I'm in school, it's more like 4-7 each week. I spend the majority of my time studying.

When school is out of session though.. a 40 hour/week job is pretty average. I mean I pull that many hours every week at least, just studying..