organic chemistry resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiemaude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good DIY organic chemistry resource? I'm having a lot of trouble with alkene and alkyne reactions and my professor and the tutoring center at my school haven't been helpful on these topics.

I'm otherwise a good student and I can see the big picture. For some reason, this area is stumping me. No matter how I categorize the reactions, I can't seem to retain the info.

Our textbook is McMurry and I own Organic Chem as a Second Language. I've also watched some of Sal Khan's videos.

Tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Why does it have to be DIY? I would go around and ask a few classmates for help or consult a different textbook.

I have been tutoring organic for quite some time and I have seen and used both the Mcmurry book and the Janice Smith Gorzinki's (I think thats how you spell it)

IMO, the mcmurry book is very good but the Smith book is much more clear, and easier to follow. I would highly recommend the smith book. Also, you may not be working enough problems. Students always expect to MEMORIZE the reactions, but you must to problems, and draw the mechanism each time, to retain the info of what the reagent is, what it does, how it does what its supposed to mechanistically. Majority of students don't do this, which is why they struggle. After you feel comfortable, make notecards, with say, the reactants on one side and the products on the other and guess what reagent was used.