Organic Chemistry Sneak Peak

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have ~3 weeks b/w the end of the spring semester and the start of summer school where I'll be taking Organic Chemistry. I've heard good things about Organic Chemistry as a Second Language as well as Pushing Electrons and was thinking of picking one of the two up and looking through it as a preview of what's to come. Do you think this would be advantageous. If so, is one book considered to be more effective than the other or is it more of a personal preference? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have ~3 weeks b/w the end of the spring semester and the start of summer school where I'll be taking Organic Chemistry. I've heard good things about Organic Chemistry as a Second Language as well as Pushing Electrons and was thinking of picking one of the two up and looking through it as a preview of what's to come. Do you think this would be advantageous. If so, is one book considered to be more effective than the other or is it more of a personal preference? Thanks!

It would definately be a good idea. I have both books. I used "O. Chem as a second language" to prepare before the semseter and "Pushing Electrons" came with my textbook.

I would reccommend buying "2nd Language" and working through all of the exercises. If you do this you'll be ahead of the game and ace the first exam. Then you just need to stay ahead of the game.

pushing electrons seems to be more reputable and better for long-term memory (helps more for the MCAT)

Members don't see this ad :)

yea ive heard good things about second language
im thinking of picking it up for next semester..

edit: nvm... my question was answered

pushing electrons was very helpful in ochem I

I never did Pushing Electrons, but I did do both Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.

For those times when I had absolutely no idea what was going on in lecture, I turned to this book, and it was a lifesaver. The presentation style is very clear and straightforward, and the book has a "you can do this" attitude. The book also teaches in a style that helps you learn patterns than just remember by rote memorization. I highly recommend the Second Language books.

I think two supplements in addition to the main text would be a little overboard (you'll spend $$$ on textbooks for orgo), but it's up to you. Definitely purchase the solutions manual to your text if you want the end-of-chapter problems to be worthwhile.

Has anyone used the "Organic Chemistry for Dummies" book?

I agree that Pushing Electrons is very helpful.

You could also find out what textbook your course uses and just purchase that (don't forget the very useful solutions manual along with it). Grab a copy of the syllabus and get ahead. I personally never used any extra supplements for my organic chemistry course and did very well.

What's the difference between Klein's two books (Organic Chemistry as a Second Language and Organic Chemistry II as a Second Language)? I'll be taking Elementary Organic Chemistry soon. Which book will cover more of the topics I'll be taking?

Please help. :)

What's the difference between Klein's two books (Organic Chemistry as a Second Language and Organic Chemistry II as a Second Language)? I'll be taking Elementary Organic Chemistry soon. Which book will cover more of the topics I'll be taking?

Please help. :)

One covers the first half, the other covers the second half. :)

i heard the one for the second half of organic isn't as useful... is this true?
and is pushing electrons effective for both semesters?
buying both series seems excessive..

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know if I'd like Pushing Electrons as much. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldnt study before the actual class starts, but I guess review book would help during the actual class.

I found the second semester book to be just as useful as the first semester book, especially when it comes to aromatic chemistry.

bump

i'm also interested in reading ahead, anymore opinions on what books?

Don't worry so much about OChem. I've learned that the people who complain about the class the most are those that expect to fail before they step foot in their first lecture. If you're good with general chem you should be fine here. Granted, I'm a chemistry major and LOVE organic so I'm a little biased, but in my opinion it's not nearly as hard as people pretend it is. Don't worry about previewing before the class, but if you're that nervous then buy the books and hold onto them just in case. You can always use them as MCAT review.

Don't worry so much about OChem. I've learned that the people who complain about the class the most are those that expect to fail before they step foot in their first lecture. If you're good with general chem you should be fine here. Granted, I'm a chemistry major and LOVE organic so I'm a little biased, but in my opinion it's not nearly as hard as people pretend it is. Don't worry about previewing before the class, but if you're that nervous then buy the books and hold onto them just in case. You can always use them as MCAT review.

...right...so...what books to buy is the question

Well, the one I would recommend is "The Nuts and Bolts of Organic Chemistry." I read it before I started this semester and it really helped me get the basics down. Good luck!

If I remember correctly, the first book stops around substitution/elimination reactions whereas the second book starts off with a brief overview of Grignard fun and keeps chugging onward. Excellent pair of books, those two.

the best reference for ochem is barron's review by Suggs. and if you just want to be prepared for the course, it is best to understand your general chemistry. important to understand differences between acidity/basicity, electron withdrawing/donating.

i have both of klein's books and both edition of the first book. it's great.

for a sneak preview, i would review the general chem concepts that are really really important for ochem (from the klein book semester 1).

in order of importance:
acid base rxns (ch 3)
hybridization/geometry especially C, N, O, S, P (ch 4)
resonance structures (ch 2)

these come up over and over and over again.

chapter 1 from klein has some key info and points out some common pitfalls (finding lone pairs, formal charges, when to put hydrogens, etc.)

Ochem as a second language was VERY helpful to me in first semester. I never had to time to pick it up for the second semester though. Luckily my textbook is very good too so I just stuck with that. We use Organic Chemistry by Wade.

Pick up organic chem as a second language. I took organic last summer, both of them and it really helped for organic I. Now for organic II it didn't help that much only because I feel as though organic II is more memorization. Plus the first book gave me a STRONG foundation in organic chem so that Organic II was a lot easier IMO. So I would def by the first one. I'm going to use the second one too, only to help review for the MCAT. I def. call it my organic chem bible.

Good Luck

Is there any website that teaches organic chemistry? Or at least go over the main concepts.

I just ordered my textbook and solutions manual early and have been working through them. I feel like I already have a good start and will be able to do well in the class.

What did you get in organic chemistry?

Those books aren't that great imo. You should be learning all that stuff in class anyways.

:laugh: i guess i'll avoid that one

zenlike has no idea what he/she is talking about. I used Organic Chemistry I for dummies religously and ended up with an A in the class (my university does not go by A-, A, A+ system) I had a 100 average midterm, and hardly studied after that since I had so much leverage. Pushing Electrons and Organic as a 2nd language did not help at all. The textbook was the same, it elaborated on the reasons behind the mechanisms and the curved arrows were drawn. Guess what, the textbook even had practice problems too! Those 2 books were a waste of money. Organic Chem for dummies explained everything from naming alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes to NMR, IR, and mass spec.

Those books aren't that great imo. You should be learning all that stuff in class anyways.
QFT. I just read the section that was being covered in the Organic for dummies book and paid attention in class while taking notes. Best way to take organic imo.